Sweet Moments

Thomas sat down on a rock as Jorge bandaged his bleeding hand. "Best you don't use this hand a lot Hermano," he advised.

"Let me do your face," Newt said. He picked up a cloth and drained it with water and dapped it gently against Thomas's face, cleaning it. A red sore remained on the side of his head but it wouldn't scar.

"Thanks," he said to both of them. "You all right Newt?"

"Oh, don't worry about me," he assured. "Just a few bruises. That's all,"

"You sure did a good help back on the bridge," Newt lectured Jorge angrily; he didn't blame the others.

"If we had tried to come over, we'd have all plunged to our deaths. Just be lucky you two are alive," he said.

Minho exploded. "' Lucky'?! They could have died!"

"What did we say about keeping that tone Hermano?" he warned.

"Stop calling us that!"

Thomas huffed, tired of their aggressive arguments. "Guys!" he shouted. "What's important is we're all alive! And we didn't lose anyone else! Now can we please just get going?!" he stood up but wobbled a bit so Newt caught him.

"Easy Tommy,"

"He's right Hermano. We'll stay here a bit and then continue. We won't be able to reach Marcus until tomorrow,"

"Tomorrow?!" Minho shouted. "But we wanna find our friends!"

"Settle Hermano. Brenda will get them there and we won't have to worry,"

"Fine," he cursed. "But this had better not be a trick,"

Thomas wanted to break up the fight again but he was too exhausted from his shared near-death experience with Newt to talk. The group had followed Jorge across the desert but they had yet to settle ruins where this Marcus fellow would give them precise directions to find the Right Arm.

Thomas's hand had been bandaged, curtesy of Newt and his face had been wiped. Since he and Newt had nearly died falling to their deaths, he had become rather quiet, too lost in his mind to say a word. Newt as before never left his side, ever.

It was getting very dark so it was decided that they would rest for the night. Jorge would take the first watch. Thomas insisted that he'd take watch later but Minho voted for him, saying that he was too tired for him. Though grateful, Thomas wanted to take a shift. It would give him an extra break from closing his eyes and recapping his memories.

They took shelter in the remains of an isolated building and had got a fire starting. Jorge stood outside; his revolvers readied. He may not have expressed much emotion on his face but Thomas knew that deep down inside he was so worried about Brenda; their surrogate connection was as clear as crystal.

Whilst the boys were talking and chatting, Thomas felt like a black sheep. Newt was the only one to notice.

With the others distracted, Thomas stood up and moved to walk outside but he was blocked by Jorge.

"Where do you think you're going hermano?" he asked.

"I just want to go somewhere to be alone,"

"Get let you do that. If you're valuable to WICKED, then you shouldn't be walking off by yourself,"

"Just let him have some space!" complained Newt from inside coming over. "If he needs space, then let him be alone for a while,"

Jorge eyed Newt who eyed back at him coldly. "Very well. But only if you go with him,"

"Well, that wouldn't be giving Thomas space would it?"

"It's fine Newt," Thomas assured.

Jorge allowed them to pass and they walked over to a nearby dune. They sat down, staring up at the full moon.