Is it too Late?

Sonya and her group's search for her brother were long and frightening with every second that passed. Aris's heart had jumped too many times from all the sudden screeches from Cranks leaping out from dark corners to try and kill them. Lawrence as the only grown-up took care of them very easily. Still, they searched but still constantly, they saw no glimpse of the British boy with blonde hair who wore his lover's pendant.

"Come on Newt," lamented Sonya. "Please be here,"

Sensing her despondency, Aris reached over and held her hand tightly. She took in her comforting space. "We're gonna find him. And we're gonna cure him. I promise,"

Sonya managed to smile a little as she sniffled her nose.

Harriet walked ahead of them towards a silent doorway with no door. She peeped around the cracked edges. "Guys..." she spoke carefully. "I think we've found him,"

Sonya instantly rushed over and looked ahead. She saw Newt huddled in the corner. But he didn't look the same as before. He had black drool dripping from his lips. His eyes were nearly hollow black. Black veins were crawling visibly under his skin. She instantly felt her eyes wet and her hand flew to her mouth. Aris grasped her shoulders in comfort. Lawrence glanced cautiously across to the nearly-transformed boy. He looked lymphatically at Sonya. "I'm sorry Sonya but he's gone too far,"

Sonya's heartbreak hardened. "No," she wiped her nose. "We're not leaving without him," Releasing herself from Aris's strong hands, she approached her brother huddling 50 feet away from her, trying to allow the shadows of the room behind him to swallow him from her sight. "Newt, it's me,"

Newt released a choked word from his black lips. "Leave," he begged. "Leave!"

"I didn't get separated from you just to lose you again," Sonya still approached him. Aris and Harriet were scared. Lawrence cocked his gun but Harriet pressed its barrel down to the floor, shaking her head. "Just look at me. Focus on my voice,"

"Please," tears leaked out Newt's swollen eyes. "Please. Just go,"

"I'm not gonna leave you," Sonya shook her head, releasing tears of her own. "You're my brother. And family means we stick together,"

Newt shuffled back away from her faster than she was approaching him with a cautious pace. "I don't wanna hurt you,"

"You would never hurt me," she said. "And you would never hurt Thomas either,"

Newt clutched his pendant.

"Our friends rescued us. Edward is rescuing Thomas. We'll all be together again,"

Her talking calmed Newt down and she managed to get close enough to him. "Please. Come with me," she held out her hand.

Newt wouldn't take it. But his eyes remained glued to hers. He reached for it. But then he suddenly lunged at her with his mouth.

"Sonya!" Aris cried.

Lawrence tried to shoot but Harriet pushed the gun just as he pulled the trigger. The bullet grazed Newt's ears and he shrieked aggressively in pain. Sonya shuffled back in shock, watching her brother behave like a wild animal. Lawrence prepared another one but she quickly stopped him. "No!"

"Sonya! Your brother is a Crank now! There's nothing you can do!"

Sonya looked ahead and saw her brother standing up, eying all four of them aggressively, blood raining down his ear and damping his clothes. He snared black-covered teeth, and her tears fell. Was it too late?

Newt charged at them. Harriet swiped her gun and bashed him in the head. "Sorry!" he felt like she had to say that.

Newt attacked again. And again. Everyone kept shuffling back whilst Sonya kept Lawrence from shooting him. But just then, Aris saw a solution. He saw a net made of chains dumped in the corner. Quickly he grabbed it and threw it over the Crank who aggressively tried biting the chains. "Get him down!"