The Lightning Storm

Thomas and Edward sat silently in a room by themselves in front of cameras. Thomas cradled his blue pendant in his hand, silently crying.

"You okay Tom?" Edward asked.

Thomas didn't answer. "How could I let this happen to him? How could I allow WICKED put him in that maze after everything we shared?"

Edward pressed his lips together and came over to hug him. "We're gonna think of something,"

Thomas held him tight. "I'm so glad you're here with me. I miss mum and dad. So much,"

Edward sniffled. "Me too. I think every day about that night we were given our new names. It's like we chose to forget them completely and pretend like our childhood never happened,"

He pulled back and wiped his tears away. They shared silent looks of guilt and regret. Their silence was interrupted by loud noises emitting from the holographic camera recordings. They turned and saw Minho and his partner Amelia sprinting through the mazes, avoiding closing walls and rising blocks.

Thomas frowned. "That's not supposed to happen until nightfall,"

"What is Ava doing?" Edward breathed. His respect-turned-repulse towards Ava began the day she sent Chuck up without him saying goodbye but what they were seeing made his resentment ever greater.

They watched the recordings for several minutes until to their shock, Amelia was separated from Minho by a wall of spinning blades and no matter how fast they were, they had no luck finding each other. To make matters worse, it was nearly nighttime and the gates to the Glade would close.

Minho would make it. But Amelia would be stuck there for the night. At that thought, Edward felt his insides twist from her getting eaten by Grievers. "I can't believe I invented them in the first place. I was stupid to think Ava would ensure they were harmful and they killed anyone who was stuck in there for the night,"

"She couldn't possibly allow them to hurt Amelia, could she?" Thomas asked.

"We can't trust Ava's intentions. We have to talk to her," Edward rushed out of the room, Thomas following after him.

Edward. Edward!

..........................................................................

Edward woke up with a jolt. Teresa was sitting above him. "Hey,"

"Hi,"

"You okay? You were having a very bad dream,"

Edward sat up and rubbed his eyes. "I'm fine,"

"You two love birds sleep well?" Chuck teased.

Edward rolled his eyes. "Chuck please stop it,"

"What? It's funny,"

"Not to me," he said, standing up. "Everyone awake?"

"I'm up," Aris popped up.

Minho, Frypan and Winston groggily sat up and rubbed their eyes. Once again Edward chuckled softly when he saw Newt and Thomas waking up next to each other. "Caught you two again,"

"Don't you start," Thomas warned getting up?

"He's right. Don't we have somewhere to get to?" Newt said already marching out of the shelter. Everyone moved out after having a careful sip of water. Edward stood back to make sure no one was tired and was left behind. Before he was about to leave, he saw a silver heart-shaped necklace. It was the same one which Minho treasured, the one that belonged to Amelia. He picked it up.