Chapter 37

Gu Lixuan smiled, "Do you think that such a dirty thing only happened once? Do you know how attractive you look? Do you know why I have to do tricks behind your back again and again? It's because this circle is too dirty. I have already jumped in, I don't want to watch you fall in too!"

"I should have warned you. I tried to persuade you to quit several times but why didn't you listen? If you listened to me obediently, maybe we won't be here now..."

Li Mo seemed to have suddenly figured out something, "So... you made the company hide me four years ago just to force me to quit?"

"Yes," Gu Lixuan smiled bitterly, "I had prepared a large sum of money at that time. As long as you are willing to terminate the contract, I can unconditionally help you pay all the liquidated damages. But I didn't expect that you would rather go ask for the help of President Xia!"

Li Mo then remembered that Xia Liang had indeed told him that after he left the country, Gu Lixuan once went to Xia Liang and said that he would return all the liquidated damages to Xia Liang.

Perhaps it was because Gu Lixuan's attitude was too arrogant at that time or perhaps Xia Liang had already had a deep prejudice against Gu Lixuan, so Gu Lixuan's actions were perceived by Xia Liang as a provocation.

Gu Lixuan continued, "What I did not expect is that after you canceled the contract, you went abroad immediately without even giving me a chance to explain. At first, I went crazy looking for you but when I finally found you, I don't want to disturb you anymore. Now that you have retired from showbiz, it's the same to me whether you stay at home or abroad."

"It would've been great if you just stayed abroad, why did you come back? Why are you still obsessed with this circle? Are you longing for the drunken fans of this circle? Do you think people like us really live glamorously?"

Gu Lixuan's cell phone rang abruptly. He glanced at the caller ID, covered Li Mo's mouth with one hand to prevent him from screaming, answered the phone with the other, and asked impatiently, "What's the matter?"

The agent's anxious voice came from the phone, "Xiao Xuan, where are you now? I haven't seen you for several days and my calls can't get through. This time the boss is really angry. He said--"

Before the other party could finish speaking, Gu Lixuan had hung up the phone impatiently and turned the phone off.

He then let go of Li Mo's mouth and continued with the topic, "Do you know what my current reputation and status are for? I'll tell you the truth. I have been passed around by countless gold masters. The longest one is the boss of the company where I am now. Outside, I am a popular actor who has won the Peony Award twice but at home, I am just a golden bird that is held in the palm of the hand to make people happy."

Li Mo's suffocation in his heart was finally suppressed and he retorted, "Don't use your standards to measure everyone. I came back here not because I envy the drunken fans. I just want to make a movie. I just want to be an actor. I don't care if I can act as the male lead or if my drama can be a big hit. I just enjoy the process of acting."

"You don't care?" Gu Lixuan sneered, "If you really don't care, why does President Xia treat you so well? He has never set foot in the show business before but now he is investing in films for you to be the male lead. Don't you dare say you didn't have any shameful dealings with him!"

"I said, don't use your standards to measure others!" 

No matter how good Li Mo's temper is, he is about to be blown up by him. 

"The relationship between me and Xia Liang is innocent. He helped me purely because he wants to help me! In this world, everyone has their own social circle and you are not my only friend. Xia Liang and I were classmates and friends in junior high school. I knew him more than I knew you so why can't he help me?"

Gu Lixuan looked at Li Mo in a daze and muttered to himself, "You and him... have known each other for so long."

Li Mo continued, "Although I am grateful that you have done so many things that you do not want to do to protect me, Li Xuan, have you ever thought about it? When you do those things that you think are protecting me, have you considered my feelings? Have you respected my thoughts? You wishfully think that without you, I will be ruined by the unspoken rules of this circle but have you really understood me? Am I someone who easily betrays his dignity in order to win a starring opportunity?"

Gu Lixuan was stunned again. Obviously, Li Mo's question caught him off guard.

Li Mo continued, "I said I became an actor because I like filming. The drama or the role I play doesn't matter. I will cherish it. I don't have a strong sense of fame and wealth. I don't expect a miracle of reaching the sky in one step. I will fight for the opportunity but I will not force it, let alone use shameless means to compete or exchange.

"In that movie back then, if the director really made such a request to me, I would rather not have that opportunity and would not betray my flesh and dignity. I was surprised that you did it for me but I am sad because we have been friends for so many years but you don't even have the most basic trust and respect for me. Li Xuan, I am an adult just like you. I am not a child who doesn't have the ability to judge right and wrong. Your excessive protection for me does not require you to decide my destiny without my consent. My future can only be determined by myself, do you understand?"

Gu Lixuan lowered his eyes as if he had suffered a heavy blow. He did not speak for a long while.

Li Mo calmed down a bit, "I hope we can take this opportunity to shed light on the past and resolve the matter between the two of us. Don't involve innocent third parties, okay?"

Innocent? Gu Lixuan slowly raised his eyes, glanced at Ji Qin sitting in the corner coldly, pointed at him, and asked Li Mo, "Is he really innocent? If he is really innocent, why is he always talking to you on Weibo and showing you affection? If he is really innocent, why do you two live in the same villa and stay with each other every day?"

Li Mo blurted out, "Are you still following me?"

Gu Lixuan turned a deaf ear to his question. "Li Mo, tell me the truth, do you like men? If you don't like men, why are you with this kid? If you like men, why can't I?"

Li Mo was so angry, "I don't like men, don't talk nonsense."

"Then what's the matter between you and Ji Qin? Tell me--" 

Gu Lixuan raised his voice, rushed forward, and pulled off his shirt, "In order to save him, you ran here without even changing your costume. Come here, the two of you are really deep and righteous!"

Gu Lixuan gritted his teeth and said the last few words while using brute force to tear Li Mo's cheap costume to pieces. Before the other party can retort, he suddenly lowered his head and opened his mouth to bite Li Mo's lips.