{Chapter 3}

Catheline's POV:

I was in the gardens, trying to finish the book I had in my hands. But no. My mind was still revolving around what those girls said. Surely, it did not affect me. Did it?

She concluded that she had to do something that assures her husband's attention. At first, I respected his privacy and decided to keep my feelings to myself. But how long can a heart control these emotions? One day or the other, I had to tell them to Xander.

I came here for marriage, not a pact of silence. Even if I tried not to mind his absence, a part of my prideful mind always raised waves of anger and disappointment in my head.

'He is your husband. By all laws and rights,'

Yet, he never fulfilled his vows. It was as if he had acquired a wallflower. I shut the book with a loud snap and held my head with my hand.

Pride or feelings? I had to choose one.

All these days, the only reason I never made a move on Xander was that I had been expecting him to make a first move. Now I understood that he would never do that. It was in my hands to change this marriage.

I signed and looked at the sky and a startling thought entered my head.

What if he was interested in men?

I never thought of this possibility before. I traced my cheek with my finger and thought of it. He always never made any move on me. Does he even feel the least amount of lust a man should? The one who roams with him and is seen with him all the time is his close companion and friend, Nathaniel.

Is he my competitor?

Would I have to fight him for my husband?

My peculiar thoughts were interrupted by a small creature on the rose bush. I looked up close to see that it was Mimy. A smile appeared on my face as I held my hand out. The little bird flew down and sat on my arm. I decided to return to the castle.

.................................................................

I felt dreadful all day because of my new thoughts. It became a strange obsession to find the real nature of my husband. When I was walking to my chambers, I saw Karra outside. She held a platter, which I recognized immediately as some of the snacks I liked.

"Your Grace," she bowed. "I made some for you,"

I returned a smile, dripping with gratitude because I was indeed hungry. Seeing food, my bird also began to chirp.

"Thank you, dear," I told her and opened the door.

I carefully placed Mimy on the bed and sat down as Karra shut the door. She looked jubilant for some reason, making me raise an eyebrow.

"Forgive me for being rude," she said as she handed me the platter of food. "But I heard that you scolded that stupid roach Macy---"

I almost choked on the air because of her usage of words. She quickly shook her head and bowed apologetically.

"I meant..., I heard that you scolded her, Your Grace," she concluded.

"Has it already become the biggest gossip?" I questioned, taking a bite of blueberry tart.

"She broke down in the corner of the kitchen," Karra replied, failing to suppress her giggles.

I let myself smile faintly before breaking off a small chunk and crushing it into crumbs before placing them in front of my bird.

"She deserved it," Karra puffed. "Last week, she had taken my comb without my permission,"

I nodded and placed the platter beside me. "The girl gossiped about me and the King,"