{Chapter 102}

Xander's POV:

I might as well suffer a stroke at the moment.

I felt as if the final lock, that kept mysteries from me, had finally been unlocked. It was always her. To stand guardian and defend me. When I saw her first time, I knew that she would be as gentle as a dove. The main reason why I hadn't noticed her was when she held a sword, under a disguise that I never could have imagined.

I knew she felt familiar. But I hadn't known Catheline enough.

And over and over, I didn't know just how much she had done for me. If she had appeared in front of me, once again as Lady Cassandra, I would've surely recognized her.

And it was only me she kept it hidden. From her maidservants to her knight her other subsidiaries have all known what she was. That information drove me insane.

It had been a week. And yet the fire hadn't died out. A fire that was burning me alive. 

If I hadn't arrived earlier than intended, I would've never known. She could've strangled me and I would've felt less bad about it.

Catheline was only a slender woman, with smooth skin and soft nature inside. I would've been shocked if she hurt a bee.

The image of her bleeding still burned a hole in his heart. She could've died. And he never could've seen her. Hear her laugh.

"Your Majesty?..."

"What!?" I snapped. Nathaniel had stood over in my study like a sentinel for the past few minutes.

"This is all too frightening," he began with a sigh. "Except the unexpected from the least expected was what my father said when he heard about..."

I stayed quiet which prompted him to continue.

"As a subject, I can't be more afraid of what Her Grace had hidden from you. She put her life at risk every time she donned her armor. But as a soldier, I can't help but admire and respect her for it. She put her life on the line for you. She bled to death for you and this kingdom. What more can one want?"

"What do you intend to say by this?" I questioned, moving back into my chair.

"I can empathize with both of your feelings," he replied, fidgeting with his fingers. "None of you are in the wrong---"

"You don't understand the severity of the situation," I sighed, running my hands over my hair. "And I'm not going to argue further. Change the subject."

Who was I jesting with? No matter what work I did, the sight of her almost dying stayed imprinted in my mind. Still, letters poured down on my desk, concerning this new revelation. So far, I haven't seen a letter speaking about how immoral it was for a Queen to roam around with a sword, butchering enemies like clay.

It was admirable. Nathaniel was right.

I was keeling over the truth that she hadn't disclosed it the first moment we had met. If that was the circumstance, maybe I would've worshipped her even sooner.

"Aren't you going to talk something?" I asked the man, who winced before bursting into speech.

"News from the Sunster residence about the army." he stood up straight and then faltered a little.

"Go on."

"Well..." he hesitated. "The revelation of the Queen's identity has been a positive influence, boosting morale grounds. The talk was if a woman fought for her kingdom, so can they."

I sighed, closing my eyes. This was another part that I had been scared of for the last seven days. Some man or woman, thundering in, screaming at how debased and inappropriate it was for Catheline to do such a thing.