{Chapter 39}

Xander's POV:

I still remember that day.

I was thirteen when the incident happened. White snowflakes were falling gently from the sky, adorning the lands with their freezing presence.

No crop or grain could withstand the cold and hence, people made their harvests in the warm summer. The creatures of summer hid away from the cold along with their young ones.

I was allowed to ride along with Hilan Corrington, the man who served as my regent. I was still young and hence, I had to choose someone else to rule Anthreal in my stead. Many of the important decisions were discussed with me beforehand though.

The forests were never scarce of empty spaces. The land here was covered in white blankets of snow. My horse made soft footsteps as it trodded along the landscape.

Here too, I was not alone. There was an entourage of thirty guards, sent by Daraa for my safety. She said that women were not meant to go for these types of activities. Whatever that meant.

"Young Prince, how are your lessons going on?" Hilan Corrington asked me.

"Not bad, Sir," I replied shortly. Out of nowhere, a tiny snowflake went into my eye. I made a displeased noise.

"Call the medic! The Prince is-"

"There is no need," I told the man sternly. "It's just a snowflake,"

The constant worry for my well-being irritated me a few times. But I couldn't voice my frustration at that time.

"My apologies, Prince Xander. I thought it was something severe," Sir Hilan spoke, as he steered his horse towards mine.

I barely went on horse riding. I was only allowed to practice at the castle grounds. I was not allowed to leave the castle grounds alone. All I was permitted to do was to read, train in swordship, and archery, or take walks in the gardens.

I turned around to see the guards. They were there, standing in the cold, with cautious expressions. I sighed and looked back at Sir Hilan.

"The people are alright for this winter, Prince Xander. The last summer was a lucky one," He said, looking around.

"Good," I commented.

Daraa said that I should think before saying something. It should be minimal and I must also control my temper.

We stayed there in silence and it was suffocating me. The silence was the only thing I knew ever since my parents left for the next world. I was instigated by my feelings and decided on something.

"I will be back after a short ride. You wait here," I told Hilan.

His expression was expected. I knew he was about to deny my request but it was not a request.

"And I don't want them to follow me either," I pointed at the guards.

"But-"

"I shall hear no more,"

After noticing the slight defeat in his expression, I nodded and trotted away.
.................................................................

My horse was a deep grey. I named him 'Ash' because that was all I could think of. It suited him well enough. I pushed that thought away and watched the pale sight surrounding me. There wasn't much color around me.

It was when I heard a deep howl, startling me. I pulled the harness and looked around for the source. It was the sound of wolves.

Wolves were creatures of cold and night. They preferred to stay in packs, each with a strong leader, keeping them safe. But they were dangerous and I wouldn't like to encounter them now.