{Chapter 19}

Narrator's pov:

It has been a few days since the return of Lady Daraa. All the workers were performing their usual duties. They were extra careful to not make her upset as she did not need any bad news. This morning, Lady Daraa did not expect anything to be out of the ordinary.

She walked towards her study while looking at the corridors for misbehaving maids.

Suddenly, she spotted something peculiar. A large gathering of maids was leaving her study with astonished faces. She approached the whispering maids and cleared her throat.

"What is going on here?" She asked with a commanding tone.

All the maids were startled when they heard her. They immediately stood in order. None of them seemed to speak a word now.

"Would one of you open your mouth and say something?" She asked again in an irritated tone.

One of the maids came forward with her head down. "The Queen wished all of us to be here,"

Lady Daraa was astounded. She has not spoken to the Queen ever since her arrival. But she did sense something surprising had happened in her absence.

"Move," she said and approached the door.

Conveniently, it was opened by someone from the inside. Karra, the Queen's maid, peeked out at everyone outside. She spotted Lady Darra and immediately her expression changed.

"Madam Daraa, The Queen is waiting for you," she said in a low voice with a small bow.

Lady Daraa looked at everyone present around her once more. "You all may resume your duties,"

The girls all left and Lady Daraa loomed at the red-haired girl in front of her.

"Why was everyone summoned here?" She asked in a curious tone.

"The Queen shall explain everything to you," Karra replied with a cheerful smile.

With a deep breath, Lady Daraa entered the room. The door was shut behind her the moment she entered.

The Queen was gazing out the window.

"Good morning, Your Grace. May I know how I can assist you?" Lady Daraa said loudly.

"You find it surprising to see me here, Lady Daraa," The Queen said in an amused tone, her back facing the strict woman.

"I am curious about why you wished to see me," Lady Daraa said quickly, to not offend her.

Queen Catheline turned to face her. She looked as fine and beautiful as she was the last time she saw her. Except, there was something new.

Something different.

"I realized that ever since I became Queen, I have been quite improper while performing my duties," She said in a casual tone.

Lady Daraa did not want to comment. Even since the Queen had arrived, she was ordered to continue her duty as caretaker of the castle. When she asked for the reason for this order, the King said something strange.

"I do not wish to overwhelm her. She must already feel so uncomfortable in a new place. Let her be used to it first,"

"So," the Queen continued, "Could you please tell me what I am supposed to be doing?"

"Well, it is quite tiring," Lady Daraa replied quickly in surprise.

"That is better than sitting idle,"

With a sigh, Lady Daraa thought of an idea. After thinking for a few moments, she managed to get a plan.

"Let us start with a simple test,"
____________________________________