{Chapter 88}

Catheline's POV:

I watched as people greeted me calmly as I walked through the hallways, which were usually empty. But now, it was filled with a sea of black faces, there were many I couldn't recognize. People I hadn't met before.

The crown made of elegant sapphires rested on the top of my head but I could barely feel its weight. I went on walking, greeting everyone who offered me and the King condolences.

It was the tenth day of Lady Daraa's death. It took a while for all the people to reach the castle on short notice but they did come, nevertheless. It seemed that Lady Daraa had connections and mutual friendships with many.

This morning, the sermon was spoken by none other than my husband, who quickly vanished after finishing his short speech. I was trying to search for him but failed to find him.

All these days, I tried to console him and attempted to make him talk of it. But his face was a blank slate, his voice dead, and his expressions nonexistent. At night, he would simply embrace me until he fell asleep, not uttering a single word.

"Your Grace?"

I turned around to find a familiar face approaching me, along with an unfamiliar person. I greeted them with a small smile while they bowed with respect.

"My condolences once again, Your Grace," Marwin Sunster said in a hushed tone.

I simply responded with a curt nod and looked at the woman whose arm was hooked around his. Tall, fair, and beautiful she was. Her soft red hair was twirled into a bun neatly. But black did not suit either of their red-haired complexions.

"You must be Lady Merline," I greeted kindly.

She seemed nervous at being acknowledged. Possibly because she might not have foreseen it. With an anxious smile, she nodded.

"My condolences, Your Grace," her voice was delicate and eloquent.

"I was hoping to have a chance to meet the King," Duke Sunster spoke after a pause.

A heavy silence descended on us as I couldn't find a quick answer. After regaining composure, I placed a small smile on my lips before speaking.

"I shall talk to him of it, My Lord,"

After excusing themselves, I got time to wander around and noticed Nathaniel, lurking in the shadows of the foyer, hidden from the eyes of others. My eyes narrowed and I quietly made my path toward him.

"Where is he?

My sudden inquiry seemed to have startled the daylights out of him. He shuddered and noticed who I was and quickly bowed before approaching me.

"He wished all of us to leave him alone, Your Grace," he spoke hurriedly with unrest etched on his face. "And the guards who are appointed for his safety,"

At the very sentence, my heart began beating wildly and I glanced to the side. Well, he should be left alone but must be attended by someone at the same time.

That person must be me.

"Also, another word..." Nathaniel uttered, calling my attention. "The Alden family wish to see the King,"

They were the family of Daraa. Two sons and one daughter. Not to mention their spouses and string of children, who were also present in the same space. I sighed and looked up at the man.

"I shall go and meet them instead,"
.................................................................

The room welcomed me with warmth but also with grieving faces. I asked Nathaniel to leave us alone with just the children of Daraa. So the others were escorted to a separate and spacious chamber. I had to find out for how long they were planning on staying to make them feel comfortable and rested.