{Chapter 73}

Xander's POV:

This was the happiest day of my life.

I was sure of it now because the smile that was on my lips never faded, even when I wanted it to. I had never been this happy in my life before. It felt new and strange but I accepted it nevertheless.

I had finally confessed my feelings to Catheline. Her reaction was everything to me. I wanted her to be the happiest and I knew I made her feel that way.

I did not want to leave her side. Not now. But when I saw Nathaniel, peeping around the hallway and signaling for my attention, I had to leave. Not because it was for my duties. It was for my beloved wife.

I had also prepared something that looks might make her restless and angry but I was sure she deserved it. She would make good use of what I was about to give her.

Now, I was returning to the chambers that had been arranged per my orders. I assumed that the present giving had been over and it was Nathaniel's turn, who was too excited to give the present he had bought for my wife.

When I reached the chambers, I was surprised that the doors had opened themselves. And I was faced with my wife once more, who smiled when she saw me.

"Xander,"

"Catheline," I smiled back. "Where are you going? Do you need something?---"

"Not at all," she shook her head and closed the doors behind her.

When she turned back, I once again realized how beautiful she was. Seeing her this morning almost made my heart stop with excitement.

"My family had finished giving their presents," she said as she hooked her hand around mine. "I asked them to retire to their chambers. They must have had a tiresome trip,"

"You are thoughtful," I nodded. She never failed to be caring. "You have to meet Nathaniel,"
.................................................................

"I love them!"

We had walked to our study when we were met with the excited man. He had told me a while ago about what he was about to present to my wife. And I must say that I was rather pleased.

And hence, on my desk, was placed a silver cage with two exotic birds. They were making quiet noises when they saw people. One was of the color pale lilac and white while the other had a blue body with a white-colored head.

"I am overwhelmed with happiness to see that you liked them, Your Grace," Nathaniel beamed as he looked at the cage. "It took me a while to figure out what I could present to you. And I finally found them in the market one day,"

Catheline poked the metal frame, watching her new pets admiringly. My heart was beating too fast for me to comprehend. But I understood it. Admitting to my feelings was accepting a path that might be filled with joy. And I accepted it.

"These are rare birds from distant lands," I heard Nathaniel say, which pulled my attention. "Parakeets are a symbol of love and bonding. Just like how these two birds are a couple, I hope dearly that Your Grace and the King may never be separated,"

Catheline looked at him in awe and it was obvious that she had not expected such a deep meaning. I did not share her reaction because my aide had already told me of this last night.

"I am so pleased to see such a lovely present, Nathaniel..." my wife whispered, as she placed her hands around the cage. "Make a wish. I want to return the favor,"

At that, the man quickly looked at her and shook his head. "I only wish you both happiness, Your Grace..."

Catheline smiled at him before approaching me. It soothed me to see her truly happy after what we had been through. Seeing her joyful and safe was what constituted my happiness.