{Chapter 68}

Catheline's POV:

Three months.

The pain I felt had never subsided. Even now, the guilt would not let me sleep in peace. I may never be in peace again. Every day was hell for me and I wanted to burn in its eternal flames.

Even if Xander himself tended to me, I did not feel any better. I barely walked out of my chambers and I did not wish to either.

I sighed, letting my breath escape into the wind. The air was freezing outside and even if it felt painful, it felt good. I stood near the window for as long as I could remember.

My face was freezing to the point that even the blood froze. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the iciness of winter. Something I avoid every year. This pain was my salvation.

A gush of window blew through the window and my hair stirred in it. I let out a small cough, feeling chilly. I turned around to glance at the empty cage of my pet hawk. That cage was unnecessary now as he is now a large and fierce bird.

I did let him roam around so he would not create a fuss in my chambers. He was beautiful and I cared for him a lot. Right now, he was supposed to return with a message from my family.

Just as I turned back to the face of cold air, I heard the door burst open. I sharply turned around to see that it was Xander. He had the most fearful face and it only increased when he saw me near the open window.

"Are you mad, Catheline?" he inquired, striding across the room in hurried steps.

As soon as he reached me, the object in his hands fell onto the floor and he cupped my face with both of his hands.

I slowly hissed at their warmth. It was just for a moment though. I closed my eyes, feeling lightheaded all of the sudden.

"Your father will be at my head!" he said, pulling me closer and allowing me to absorb his heat. "Your gown is so thin and you are not even wearing a cloak---"

He stopped in his words and I knew why he did. I let out a weak breath and embraced him closer with a blank mind.

He pulled away and led me to the furnace, where he forced me to sit on a chair nearby.

"Stay here,"

I looked at the small flame burning in the furnace. I did not notice that the heat in the room was disappearing. Nor did I care. Xander returned with a basket of neatly chopped wood and threw them then one by one into the flame slowly.

And soon, the fire grew bigger. I let out a shaky breath as I placed my chin on the armrest.

"Do you feel fine now?" I heard him ask softly.

I turned to him and to my astonishment, he fell on his knees and placed a hand over the fire.

"What are you doing?" I asked, startled.

He held one of my hands in his in an assuring way. Then, he moved forward and placed his other hand on my cheek. The sudden heat made me shiver, but I held onto his arm as if it was the string of life.

"Does it feel better?" he asked with a small smile.

I nodded as I pressed my face further into his palm. "You know, A King should not kneel to anyone,"

He frowned in disagreement. "No one said anything about kneeling for his Queen,"

I had to smile at him for his cheeky words. These days, I enjoyed it as he developed to be sweeter with his words. I slanted forward and placed my hand on his shoulders.