{Chapter 79}

Narrator's POV:

It was a chilling night. Everyone stopped working and shut themselves in their homes. But that did not stop a small bar from doing their business.

It was a large and crowded room. Long tables were arranged neatly and men sat at every corner of the space. Some wore cloaks and some did not. They were enjoying a hot drink or were simply chatting.

"Have you heard?" one of them told the other. "It seems that one of them escaped,"

The other man he was speaking to shrugged. "Best hope that he died on his way,"

In the room next to it, were two men, discussing their schemes. One of them sat on a chair, close to the fires burning in the furnace and the other stood near the door.

"What does our King say, Adrain?" the man at the door asked.

Adrain Borgan sighed as he took a piece of paper and threw it into the fire. He had many things on his mind. He wanted to make King Simion proud by his works but instead, he disappointed him.

Because the men who were forced to comply with them were all the newest recruits as the older soldiers were loyal to King Xander. They would not even flinch to report this to him and all Adrain was trying to do was to keep this secret community safe.

Since there were no more nobility or people with a higher power that worked for King Simion, this was the only community that collected news around Anthreal. It was getting harder and harder by the passing day. The gates of Anthreal were more guarded and interrogations were occurring every other moment.

"He wants us to convince any person from the council," Adrain sighed and stared at his companion. "Do you think that it would happen, Zevon?"

"I doubt that," Zevon replied. "All the men in the council are loyal to Xander. There is no way we can convince them otherwise,"

Adrain knew that. But hearing it from another person made him irritated.

"Has Colton been caught?"

"No," Zevon responded. "The wounds must have killed though,"

"Do you think we might have to relocate?" 

Both the men stared at each other quietly. And in that silence, they both understood. They were cornered. If they got caught, all their lives will end. Because no longer did King Xander have mercy for traitors.

"We cannot," Zevon muttered. "The guards are on patrol. They will know and they will suspect. We already threatened the bar owner with his life. Let us just hope he keeps the secret,"

Adrain nodded in understanding. "Also, send a message to the others. Let them know that they should be careful from now on---"

He stopped speaking when he heard a strange noise outside. Zevon looked confused and turned his back to see the door. Even he heard those noises. His hands reached his belt, where his sword rested. With the passing moment, the cries and screams grew louder.

"It's an attack!" Adrain shouted and he stood up. His hands reached for his sword too.

"Get out of here," his companion told him as he opened the door and rushed outside.

Adrain knew what he had to do. He must escape and inform the others that they had been compromised. It was a shame because this place was the only one in the capital city.

Adrain quickly looked at the back door and made a run for it. Just as he did so, the door in his room burst open but he managed to evade. He quickly sprinted out of the bar and breathed in the cold wind as he ran.