{Chapter 36}

Xander's POV:

"Your brother?..."

I was in the gardens the next morning when my wife forced me to stay with her near the swing. Things in the castle have been too suffocating for me to remain. I wanted to run far away from this atmosphere and take refuge in the quietness of nature. But I can't. Because it gave me some peace whenever I talked to her. I couldn't explain it.

And now, this. 

Catheline nodded, leaning on my shoulder. "It's so startling to know. I'm not sure how to react to him."

"We still have a week until he arrives." I shrugged, looking at the skies. For now, they were calm.

"I suppose," she moved her feet. "It isn't as if your dead brother who turned out to be alive is coming to visit you."

I shook my head at her sarcastic words. These days, she was as unpredictable as possible but to some extent, I could read her.

"Well, you're always right," I admitted. If I was in her shoes, I wouldn't know what to do either. "I'm about to meet my good brother too. I suppose that counts?"

"No, it doesn't."

"Fine..." I receded, turning to face her. "I want you to stay inside the castle all the time. Just be on the safe side," Nathaniel reported of another sighting. This was getting out of control.

And I would lose my mind if something happened to Catheline and our child.

The promise that I gave her on that drunken night, the promise I gave her on my parent's death anniversary...they all flooded through my head like a river. I wanted to keep it fulfilled and ease her worries as much as I could. Why did I feel like I was adding more?

She slowly approached closer and leaned her head onto my chest. A gesture that quickened my heart rate but I kept as calm as I possibly could.

"I know that I have worried you," I told her as I rested a palm on her head, pressing her closer. "But never again get yourself to an anxious state for me, Catheline."

She pulled away, anger flaring in her eyes. "I'm your wife. Of course, I have to worry for you-"

"What if you have to choose between me and our child?" I asked, making her silent.

She stared at me for a few minutes. Without another word, she hit me hard on the arm. I hissed and moved until a distance was between us.

"Your hands are made of stone, aren't they?"

"Don't ever ask me such ludicrous questions," she flared, standing up. "For me, both you and our child are of equal importance. I'll go now."

Before I had the chance to apologize, she left the gardens. I leaned back and sighed, knowing that I had to beg her forgiveness again tonight. It was a routine.

And I had to admit, it made me smile.
.................................................................

Narrator's POV (Eighteen years ago):

Anthreal was in a mess. Murders and mournings echoed across the kingdom. People were hanging dark black cloth all around their houses. The towns never rang with the sounds of happy children or gossiping adults. Just an eerie stillness ensued in the kingdom. 

In the castle, was a young boy. A troubled boy. He looked around as servants, wearing all black, were walking around, carrying flowers and dark pieces of fabric.

He had been dressed in black apparel. He silently walked in the hallways as he heard many people, with tears flowing down their faces.

No one told him what happened.