{Chapter 92}

Xander's POV:

I was dreaming once again. Of all the oldest memories of my parents that I could conjure. The portrait and paintings of them helped to form a better image. But I  doubted if they were real memories or fake visions my head was making.

It was summer. The evening air smelled rich around me as I ran through the gardens, my eyes wandering for a familiar person. As I turned around the right path, I saw a woman's pale blue skirt bristling at the edge.

A wild grin almost tore my lips as I ran forward and clutched the dress tightly in my grasp. "Found you!" I shouted in glee while the woman began laughing.

"My sweetheart," she called and pinched his cheeks and lifted him in the air. She was frail and yet, she was strong enough to carry me. After all, she did carry me e for months before bringing me into this world. The bright blue glint in her eyes never ceased as she carefully tucked me in her arms and walked forward into the gardens.

"Where is Papa?" I asked, patting her shoulder.

My mother smiled at me before kissing my forehead. "He is working. Being King is hard, my sunshine,"

I frowned and looked ahead to where the large walls of the castle stood tall. We reached a familiar path of stairs that lead into one of the hallways.

"I'm scared! What if I have to do so much work too?" I asked.

I just began his education as a Prince a few weeks ago. It wasn't tiring as it sounded. I loved learning new things and hearing about places that I never visited. Perhaps, one day I might visit them. With my parents.

My mother paused before giving a fierce smile. "I won't let you work that hard, even if your father insists,"

There was neither my father, who forced him to do his duties nor my mother who stood up to stop him.  And yet, I had to do my obligations. Better being buried in work than sitting still. There was so much to do, so much to be afraid of.

I felt the slightest jerk on my back as my eyes were forced to open. My mind was hazy about the lucid thoughts buzzing like bees. For a moment, I ignored it.

"Xander?" a voice whispered. An angel. A bringer of joy. She patted his back once again, this time a little too harshly. "Wake up..."

"Give me more time, wife..." I mumbled back, shutting my eyes close.

I didn't know where to draw the line between dreams and reality but what he heard next could be either of them.

"You forgot what day today is," Catheline whispered, her hands rubbing my back. "It's your birthday,"

My eyes almost popped open. And then I knew that what I heard was real. But my mind decided to investigate. No wonder Nathaniel was more gentle with his words and smiled several times before he retired for the night. He knew. No wonder Catheline made that bizarre request of wanting me to herself. She knew.

And I was the only one who didn't know.

I turned around to see her fully awake and with a wide smile on her lips. There was some room in the light but I guessed that it was still too early in the morning. Even the sun must have been under the horizon but not my sun. She was right there in front of me, her hair in a lovely mess.

"It's my birthday?" I repeated like an idiot.

Twenty-four years and only five did I celebrate properly, because there was no joy left after the pillars of my life collapsed. My parents were gone and the entire kingdom went into mourning. There was no time for celebrations. I ensured that and extended that period up to this day.