{Chapter 28}

Cassandra's POV:

Karra...

My heart began beating faster once more. Winona, who I knocked off earlier, was still unconscious. Karra was sitting on the ground but she stood up slowly. She stared at me with a strange expression.

What should I do?

She cannot know my identity.

But remembering how she entered the battlefield with no proper defense, made me wonder if it was for me. Karra broke the silence as she let out a sob.

"Your Grace?..." She mumbled as tears flowed down her red cheeks.

I paused and shook my head in denial even if my heart ached at the scene. Karra approached me and stood a few inches away from me.

"I served you for so long...Would I not know if I had seen you?" She whimpered.

I stared at her as tears began to flow from my eyes as well. I started to cry and gave her a tight embrace. We both cried quietly and even if I was upset that my secret was revealed, I was slightly happier that I did not have to carry this secret alone, within me anymore. Because I realized that I bit off more than I can chew. Even if it meant breaking my promise to my father.

"It is you?" Karra asked as she pulled away from the embrace.

"Silly girl. It is me," I spoke and smiled tearfully.

She gave me a wide smile and wiped away her tears. We both gave each a long stare before I urged myself to speak.

"Karra, I am so sorry for what I said. I did not mean to scare you," I told her, looking away.

Even if I knew that her friend was a spy, I put that matter aside for now. I was sure that Karra had no idea. I trusted her and I will continue doing that.

Karra mattered more to me.

"I am so sorry too. I should not have ignored you. Earlier, I was so scared for you. I came running to search---"

"Enough, Karra. I understand." I said softly, raising a hand a wiping her tears away.

Before she could reply, Winona stirred. She groaned as she clutched her neck, the place where I had hit her. I staggered but Karra held my hand tightly.

"No worries. I will manage her," she whispered.

I hesitated before nodding. Karra squealed and approached Winona.

"Are you alright!?"

"Uh...Karra? What happened?" Winona said groggily.

"I was scared to death when I saw you!" Karra exclaimed as she hold her hands.

"Wait--- The Queen!---"

"The Queen is fine!" Karra said with a convincing tone.

Winona stared before sighing and looking at me. She blinked with shock.

"Oh...Uh, she saved you and the Queen!" Karra blurted.

I stood there, hoping that the poor girl would buy it. Suddenly, I remembered Xander. He must be looking for me and if he burst into my room,  it would be hard to manage. I gave Karra a look who paused before nodding frantically.

"Let us go, Winona. We must bring the Queen back. She had just left to see the King," Karra told the girl.

Winona nodded and Karra escorted her out of the room. "You go and fetch her! I shall prepare some fresh clothes!" I heard Karra yell before returning to the room.