{Chapter 38}

Catheline's POV:

I ran out, rushing to the hallways to find the maids and the others filled in them. Everyone was watching something outside, whispering to each other. I approached them and pushed one aside gently.

And there he was.

Mindlessly chopping down a stone ledge, the sound of his sword clashing on the stone echoed throughout the hallways.

"Your Grace," someone called but I paid no attention. My hands gripped around the solid handrail as I began to feel pain again.

"Why has no one gone to bring him back!?" I yelled at everyone present.

The rain made so much racket that even the sounds of the sword were being quelled. No one made a sound, making me irritated by the passing moment. It wasn't until I heard someone coming from behind me.

"I have never seen him such angry, Your Grace..."

It was Lady Daraa. I turned to look at her, soaked until the hem of her clothes. She was being escorted by a maid, who held her hand.

"What happened?" I asked her, trying to sort out what I was feeling. Anger.

She looked at the arch window and then back at me in defeat. "It was my fault..." She mumbled incoherently. "I gave him the book...h-he must have-"

She began so coughing violently that the maid beside her panicked. At this moment, the sounds of the sword were getting louder. Clang. Clang. Clang.

At a time of disarray, something made me crack. I turned around slowly and began running towards the gardens. I heard Lady Daraa yelling at me, not going, and asking someone to catch me. But I didn't care.

None of them dared to go near him. Except me.

I wanted this ball of emotions to untangle themselves. I and Xander had many things to things and we saw each other as people we could trust. The ones we can rely on at our darkest of times. That was what he promised.

The cold and heavy drops of water fell on my head and I felt my blood turn cold. I ran towards the man in the dark. It was the first time I had seen him so violent and almost...feral.

The broken pieces of the hedge were on the ground and that did not satisfy him. He didn't notice my presence and continued slicing down the gravel into pieces silently.

Suddenly, the murky sky was lightened by a streak of white light, followed by a loud boom, making me gasp.

The man in front of me turned around sharply, pointing the sword in my direction.

Murder and Hatred.

That was all I could make out from his eyes. It woke up fear in me. A sort of fear that I had never felt before. I was so surprised that I took a step back. But his eyes softened when he realized that it was me.

"Catheline?..." He said, breathing deeply. He lowered his sword and faced me.

For a moment, we just looked at each other. He was soaked to the skin, reminding me of the last time he came to me in a similar situation. But then, out of the blue, he yelled at me.

"Are you mad!? Get back inside!"

And just like that, all my fear vanished into thin air. I glared at him, wrapping my arms around myself.

"You're the one who's mad!" I fired back. "What are you doing here!?"

"This doesn't concern you! Did no one try to stop you---"