{Chapter 24}

Xander's POV:

I never knew that she could have the power to say that meaningful phrase. If she knew how much they had an impact on my hazy head, she would be pleased. From the age of five, I stood, waiting for the storm to hit me. This time, the storm came in the form of a soft drizzle. Life wanted me to suffer and that was what I thought.

Her comforting words were something I could hear all night. Her touch was something that could calm down the storm. I finally felt a feeling of peace that I had never had before.

At first, I was afraid of what might go wrong. There were so many things that I could mess up but thankfully, I did not. She gave me a chance.

'Do not lose it,'

This time, I finally accepted that there was more to life. All these days, I saw black because I wanted to. I wanted to remain in the turmoil and ruin another person's happiness because of it. But now, I wanted to see other colors. I wanted to accept that I could, like others, had a chance to chase my happiness.

It felt like relieving a huge burden from my heart. But she did shock me with her words. I just have to be myself, the one I had been before. Use my thoughts and ideas. Tell others what I felt without holding onto it within me.

I promised her that I would never treat her like I used to and would even grovel for her forgiveness. Even if love was something I could not perceive, I cannot lie that she was confident and strong. She had her way with words and everything she spoke seemed to be the law.

Last night, I asked her permission if could stay in her chambers. She was a bit shocked but my request was not denied. But she did force me to wear something dry and warm as I could have a fever. I had no choice but to comply with her wishes.

At this moment, the sun had already made its presence in the sky. Catheline was still asleep and I was playing with her dark wavy hair. The long tresses rested on her face when I woke up. She seemed peaceful and unbothered by my fidgeting. She never made any signs that she was uncomfortable with my presence. She wanted me. And I could feel that.

While I was in my deep thoughts, I did not notice that she had opened her eyes. It was not until I felt her hand gripping mine gently that I realized that she was awake. I flinched and quickly sat up, apologizing.

"I never meant to disturb your slumber, My Queen---"

"You did not leave?"

I was momentarily confused by her words while she pushed herself to sit. She rubbed her eyes and watched me, still unable to shake away her sleepiness.

"Well, I am still here," I smiled, unsure of what she meant.

"You usually leave before I wake up,"

"Would you like me to leave-"

"No!" She startled me and hold my arm. Her face flushed a bright shade of red, compelling me to do the same.

"Understood,"

That seemed to have calmed her senses and she let go of my arm. We stayed in a strange silence until I decided to interrupt it.

"I hope I was not a nuisance to you last night, my wife,"

She glanced at me while pushing away the strands that were covering her face. Finally, she smiled and I feared that she might never do that in front of me.

"You were a quiet sleeper. I never minded your presence, only your absence,"

I nodded with understanding and she neared to hug me. I gladly accepted it without any hesitation.