{Chapter 70}

Nathaniel's POV:

"You need to mingle with the crowd and observe them,".

It was already nightfall by the time I found suitable men for the task the King had graced on me. Fifteen men, wearing casual attire nodded.

"And what if we found something unusual?" one of them asked.

"Write it back to me as soon and quickly as you can," I told them, shifting my feet. "Remember, make it very obvious that you are nothing but civilians,"

The men nodded again and I gestured for them to take leave. One by one moved toward the stables and left, with their mounts. When they did, I sighed and watched the snow drift around me.

I rather face an enemy with a sword than deal with spy work.

The King had made a clever move. Even if it made him a little guilty to doubt supposedly good and innocent men, I was glad that he in on guard.

After all, the sufferings he went through were tragic.

I made my way back to the castle, back to the King's chambers to report the details. But then, I stopped in my steps as I realized that he and the Queen share the chamber now.

The thought made me chuckle with no shame. I was the most pleased to see that the royal couple was getting along very well these days. I just wished that this occurred a lot sooner.

I walked past the guards, who were stationed at the entrance of the hallways. Most of them sleep during the day to work better at night. The opposite goes with the next shift.

As I walked to my chambers, I heard severe coughing. I halted and found myself facing the door of Lady Daraa's study. What was she doing now? Why was she up so late?

My curiosity got the better of me and I knocked on the door thrice. After hearing a weak 'come in', I opened the door.

Lady Daraa was sitting on her chair, with a lantern on her desk. She looked at me with pale eyes as she clutched an eagle feather in one hand and a piece of fabric in the other.

"What is the purpose of your visit, Nathaniel?" she asked, in an airy voice.

"Why are you up so late, My Lady?" I questioned, as I moved forward.

She was writing something in a book and I could not make out what that was. She coughed into her fabric once more before placing the eagle quill aside.

"I feel no need to sleep tonight," she explained calmly. "Hence, I decided to busy myself with work,"

"What work?"

"Do you want to keep your tongue, boy?" she asked me seriously.

A smile appeared on my lips and I shook my head. Always so strict. Lady Daraa was the sole reason I was chosen to be His Majesty's aide. She allowed me to visit the castle after she spoke to my father, who was an Earl.

I still remember the days when I and His Majesty began acquainting. Back then, he was young and at the prime age of fifteen. He always was distant and spoke very less, unless he had to. But he was kind and had a considerate mind.

"How is the King? And...the Queen?" she questioned. She gestured toward the empty chair in front of her.

I sensed the hesitation in her voice and sighed. I moved toward the chair and sat down. "They both are fine and finding comfort in each other. Also, next week is---"

"The Queen's birthday. I am aware,"

I was a little surprised but shook it off. She would know. After all, she talked with the Queen's father regarding her life when The King chose her as his bride.