{Chapter 52}

Catheline's POV:

Five days have easily passed by. Often, I ask Karra to go to the royal library and bring me books of my preference. Every time she returns, she is frustrated that she is interrogated by the guards outside for anything suspicious.

I felt as if the past had raced back to me. I remember how I used to spend many of my days in my chambers, having nothing to do. It was a vulnerable feeling, a feeling I wanted to get rid of. I was even reminded of how I was locked up in my chambers when I and my father were accused of plotting treason.

But I knew this time, it was different. This time, I was kept here so I could avoid any danger. And Xander would not abandon me or mistrust me. Because he does trust me now.

For these five days, he did not visit even once. A few times I decided to stay up late at night, hoping that he might come. But no. I felt the memories whorl around me again.

I was not allowed to learn what was happening outside the castle either. All I know is what Nathaniel told me that night. I was frustrated at all of these events.

I felt a sudden slight jerk in my stomach when I sat on the bed, enjoying some soup.

"Are you angry too, little one?" I sighed, running my hand over my belly.

In a way, we are safeguarded. But both of us won't be happy if Xander isn't around. Sometimes I feel like the baby is listening to everything we say. Even if it would not remember them. That prospect makes me happy as it gives me a feeling that I am not alone.

If it was a boy growing in me right now, things would be even more complicated. What if Xander sends him away, out of fear for his safety? I would not want him to separate my child from me. I want to raise him into a fine man, who I would always cherish.

If I gave birth to a girl, it might complicate things in a whole new way. If the enemy learns that, perhaps it would be easier for him to attain the throne. A princess would not be able to stop him.

When Xander said that he wanted a daughter, my eyes sparked with happiness. It was very sweet of him to wish so when many kings desired sons. But Xander is not like many other kings.

I sighed, trying to stop thinking so many thoughts at once. I glanced at Karra, who was poking a small stick at Ferus, through the cage. She probably thinks I am not noticing her abuse my pet. But seeing that she was not poking him that aggressively, I let that one slide. Maybe she is bored.

Suddenly, I heard someone knock at the door. I looked at Karra, only to find her distracted with Ferus.

"Karra," I said, in a tired voice. "The door,"

She flinched and dropped the stick. Getting to her feet, she quickly apologized and walked to the door. After a few moments, I heard her furious voice.

"We know him! Just let him in, would you?"

"But the King-"

"The King would blame you if anything happens to his child!"

I sighed, feeling disgruntled by their argument. Over the days, Karra and Leon have been disagreeing more than they should. On the one side, I was glad that she was overprotective of me.

After a few moments, the royal physician entered the room and bowed to me politely.

"Rise. What brings you here, Gabriel?" I asked as I moved uncomfortably to the side.

He once told me his name and I decided to address him by it. After all, he did help a lot. Gabriel stood up and approached me, placing a bag filled with potions and syrups aside.