{Chapter 94}

Xander's POV:

"So this is the official message?"

Nathaniel nodded and I took another look at the dreadful letter. Over the past few months, Sealore had been quite amicable with Anthreal, particularly the King. I expected a much more formal relationship as a fellow king but the man simply regards me as if we had been friends ever since we were born.

'I promised my darling wife that one day, she shall see Anthreal's glory and most importantly, meet your Queen. Surely, they both would be the best of friends,'

"I assume that he just wants to be close to you, Your Majesty," Nathaniel waved it off. "You must bear with his exuberant behavior. Still, it is far better than him bearing a grudge for the war decades ago,"

I guessed that he was right. But it made me wonder if I should put my guard up, even with a possible friend. It was good to maintain a friendship between fellow rulers, especially the ones who were divided by war a long time ago. But Horace Wilhelm was rather too spirited.

I supposed that it was way better than him supporting the likelihood of my uncle.

"Just keep it in my study," I sighed, giving the letter to Nathaniel. "And is there any other news that I'm supposed to be informed of?"

After having a change of attire, I secluded myself in the gardens. The summerhouse was such a brilliant addition to these grounds. Sometimes, I wondered if I stayed here longer and in more frequencies than Catheline.

Catheline...

I couldn't help but smile whenever I thought of her. Judging by her excitement, I assumed that she would have organized something grander. But I found it comforting that she hadn't. Maybe next year...I might indeed throw a ball she deserved for her birthday.

If by next year, the war ends.

"How are the preparations going on for tomorrow?" I asked Nathaniel, who stood outside the summer house.

"We are all set," he responded with a nod. "Duke Sunster is well informed of the timing of your departure. We are to set out early tomorrow,"

I nodded and wondered how I should break this news to my wife. For some reason, I didn't want to leave her side. Surely she wouldn't react too well to this news. But a small part of me wondered if she already knew of it. Nathaniel did say how all three servants of her were actively roaming the castle, looking for anything suspicious or out of order.

The knight, Sir Vincent in particular seemed to have other business outside the castle. I had no intention of questioning Catheline about her business. After all, I gave her the power to do anything she wanted. And so far, she had only been the greatest of help.

"You didn't say anything about my gift, Your Majesty," Nathaniel whined, pulling back my attention.

Ah yes. He obviously must have laughed when selecting this one. I was the most startled to find a sewing kit in his hands. I would've strangled him if he wasn't a close friend. But every time I looked at it, I could only remember what Daraa told me that day.

"You would have no time for such silly hobbies. You mustn't go to this extent just to spite me, Your Highness,"

"But I just wanted to learn,"

"You must learn skills that shall be more useful to your future. Remember, you are the future of this kingdom and hence, you must concentrate on your studies,"

Many times I dreamt of our lessons and conversation. Every word became more clear and more understandable to me now. I still had no clue what my wife discussed with her before she passed. It must be something important if she is for Catheline instead of me.