{Chapter 11}

Catheline's POV:

It had been a week since that night.

Even the very thought of it made my face burn with embarrassment. We were caught kissing, how shameful it was.

But keeping that aside, I wondered why and how Xander wanted to do that. When I returned to my chambers that night, I had trouble falling asleep. The memory of the soft touch of his lips was driving me insane.

Karra kept on asking me what happened until I had to scream the fact that my husband kissed me, the first time after our wedding. Before that night, I hoped to see Xander at least one time. But now...I avoided his presence altogether. I did not know how he felt about this and I didn't dare to ask so either.

But today was the day. The day I would finally face him. I was not a weak woman but that unexpected kiss rendered me vulnerable.

It was twilight and I walked toward the King's study, with Karra by my side. My heart was beating wildly in my chest and I hoped that it would calm down soon.

When we reached there though, we found a guard standing outside. As soon as he saw me, he bowed respectfully.

"I need to see the King," I told him, holding my hands.

"He is not here, Your Grace,"

That startled me. Where else could he be? I was losing confidence in myself, afraid that I might freeze if I see him again. I was the one who wanted a loving relationship, so I should be able to take it.

"Where can I find him?" I asked the man.

"The King is in the dungeons, with Nathaniel, Your Grace,"

.................................................................

The dungeons of Anthreal were a place I barely visited. All because I had no purpose in being there. But since I had never seen them, my inner curiosity was making my legs walk. Karra spoke against it but I made up my mind.

"This place is scary," I heard her mumble.

She was right. The place grew colder as we descended further down the stairs. The walls were cold to the touch and I expected them to be centuries old. After some more steps, we found a door.

"You wait here," I told Karra, who nodded and stood near the door.

I opened it and it made a slight creaking noise. The narrow passage in front of me emitted an intimidating aura. I took a deep breath and reconsidered my decision before stepping forward and closing the door behind me.

As I moved forward, I saw that the path was getting wider and there were several doors, which were closed. I went on, observing every single detail until I noticed a small window around the corner. It was made in glass frames and currently, was closed.

While I was too busy watching it, I failed to notice someone at the end of the path. When I heard steps, my eyes darted forward and a few feet away from me, was a man. He was running toward me and out of instinct, I dodged him.

He collapsed on the ground and was attempting to get up but before I could react further, a large creature fell on him and he began to scream.

I watched in horror as Lestor ripped the throat of the man, and when he turned to look at me, blood was dripping from his mouth. My mind was losing itself as my eyes widened in shock and terror. Even the faintest sight of blood was enough to make me squirm. Women were used to seeing blood more than men, but that did not help.

I never watched a man getting killed.

I only remembered a faint shout of someone calling my name before I lost consciousness.
.................................................................