{Chapter 108}

Catheline's POV:

Two months.

It's been two months since the army left the kingdom.

So far, no bad thing has occurred. Daily reports came and went. Mostly it was about the advancements and needs of the kingdom. And as regent, I was directly responsible for everything.

The city's defense was working well under my orders too. It was mostly Vincent and the twins who gathered information about any ongoings in the kingdom. That string of spies was growing larger by the day.

Hilan Corrington was more help than he seemed. He carefully explained on which sites we could focus so we could manage all the finances required. For the first time, I tried investing in a few businesses. One of them being an accessory store. When they came with their bows meant for hair, I fell in love.

I also managed to visit a few places where it was required. Not under disguise, just with the royal escort. I didn't dare try something like that anymore. Not when I knew dangers lurked.

The warning of that bastard came back to my head.

And I wasn't prepared to fight him. All my esteem and the work pressure were taking its toll on me. Karra once stated how I barely had time to eat. And when I did eat, I ate like some monster.

What made me cheerful was the company of my new guard, Gillian. The young boy who was appointed to protect me. He was a shy little boy who loved to crack jokes and never stopped following me around. He took his job rather too seriously.

When I heard of his past, I cried that night. No one deserved such torment. From then on, this motherly affection took over me whenever I saw him. He refused to take breaks, keeping his trusty daggers in his belt and always nearby.

Vincent was skeptical at first when he saw the young boy. But when they sparred, he knew. And held no further doubts.

Most of the time, my work took over my mind. I had no opportunity to think of anything else. Statements from the farmers and the working class came in daily. Since most of the men were out of the kingdom, I had the most cheery idea.

"Women working out in the fields?" Hilan asked, a little surprised when I proposed this out of nowhere.

"Why not?" I retorted, clasping my hands. "Women are the ones who manage the houses. They raise their children. I'm sure if they could give it a try, we can increase crop production."

"Which can keep the balance of the trade..." he gave it a thought. "What if they rebel?"

"It's not an order. Merely a suggestion," I shrugged. "Women who wish to do work can and those who don't wish to, don't need to. Since not all the soldiers were farmers, we can manage if we cultivate our plans carefully."

The next week, announcements went far and wide in the kingdom. As expected, some didn't like women working around. What I didn't expect was how a large number of people did want to work in their husband's absence. It was a beautiful moment to witness when women were being given a chance to prove themselves.

My encouragement for businesses operated by women was known too well. Many shops were being opened as they let their creativity fly. Most of them never had the chance since they didn't think it would matter.

Of course, it matters. I'm here to hear their silent voices.

My days were filled with forms to sign, men to order, and things to inspect. The nights were the only times I could think of him. Every time I faced a cold and empty bed, tears stung my eyes. My tendency to cry at unexpected times reached its peak.