{Chapter 71}

Catheline's POV:

"Your Grace? Please wake up,"

"Few more moments..."

It was probably so early that even the sun was asleep. I hugged the pillow under my head as Karra tried to wake me up.

"You have to wake up, Your Grace!" she insisted, pushing my arm gently.

"Why?..." I groaned, pulling the duvets closer.

"Because today is your birthday,"

I opened my eyes a little and blinked heavily. Even then, the words did not sink into my head. I did hear them, but I did not understand what they meant. For a moment, I thought I was still dreaming.

"What?..."

"Your birthday!"

My eyes opened wide this time as I struggled to sit quickly. My mind was still whizzing with countless thoughts as I found my vision of Karra.

Birthday.

My birthday.

I was twenty-two years old.

My arm moved to the other side of the bed without my permission. He was not here. I looked at the empty side of the bed and looked at Karra, who was grinning widely.

"What?..."

"Happy Birthday, Your Grace!" she squealed suddenly, falling onto her knees. "May you live a long, strong, and happy life with your beloved and cherished people. I wish you happiness with all my heart!"

I simply blinked at the cheery girl and gazed away. Today was my birthday. I did not even have an idea of it. I forgot.

"Are you alright?"

I turned to Karra whose facial features turned into concern. In response, my lips produced a faint smile before breaking into a happy and genuine one.

"Thank you, Karra," I told her as I reached out for her cheek.

"But---"

When I held her face gently, her shock disappeared. A small blush appeared on her skin as she beamed.

"I thought you were going to pinch me," she giggled.

"Come on now, get on your feet. No more kneeling," I told her while kicking off the duvet.

"Today will be a long and happy day for you," she declared as she pointed her index finger high in the air. "You need to get ready, Your Grace!"
.................................................................

The last time I was so vigorously dolled up was at my wedding. To my astonishment, Karra called ten other companions of hers to get me ready.

Surely, any woman would be so excited and pleased with all the makeup and fragrances, but I was not like any other woman.

The girls were all over the place, shouting and grinning at each other with so much joy. They seemed to be very happy to be doing what they were doing right now.

After a long bath, I sat down on the chair with the mirror in front of me, while two other maids were brushing my hair. They both were excitedly whispering to each other and I could hear some words.

"The Queen would be so happy to see what His Majesty made for her!" one finally declared.

The entire room fell silent and then outbursts quickly broke all around the room.