{Chapter 87}

Catheline's POV:

'A man reported of illegal export of goods is now gone.'

I read the letter with approval when Sir Vincent handed me a small roll of paper the next morning. I decided to take the law into my hands because I knew that my husband had more pressing matters. The little things that are causing an uproar in this kingdom should be removed and suppressed even before they reach the ears of Xander.

This way, I will be taking care of the kingdom while he would focus on the ongoing war.

"Tell the twins to keep their eyes and ears open for any other danger," I told Vincent and rested the piece of paper on my desk. "If anyone is spreading rumors or praising the enemy, they must be dealt with,"

"I would be surprised if anyone would openly do that, Your Grace," he replied with a thoughtful look.

I nodded and glanced around the room, as I thought of all the things Xander told me this morning. He seemed to have quite a lot on his plate. I would not like to burden him with any more things. But one thing kept on nagging me without a pause.

"What must I do about Daraa?" I whispered, looking at the old knight.

He raised an eyebrow, confused. "What about her?"

I paused, remembering that I had not told him yet. There were only a few who knew. And that included me, Karra, and a small group of maids that served the frail women.  Xander talks with her whenever he was free, but the time for that was lowered because of his duties. 

"She is..." I mumbled, curling my fists gently. "She is unwell, Vincent,"

Both of his eyebrows went up in shock as he continued staring at me. I sighed and did not wait for a response and placed a hand on the desk of my study.

"Does the King know of it?" he questioned, after a long pause.

I gave him a troubled look and that was enough for him. He glanced away onto the ground, in disarray.

"She told me not to tell him," I went on, clasping my hands and pacing around a few steps. "But I can't keep it a secret anymore,"

"You must tell him, Your Grace," he advised with a firm look. "She is his godmother. And their relationship has been improving. He will be devasted when she..."

"I can't tell him..." I mumbled, looking at him with strained eyes. Taking a deep breath, I decided to tell him the truth. "Because she holds a secret of mine that would change everything for me. And him,"

After observing his confused gaze, I finally let him on with everything that I did. Everything I had done with a sword and all the deeds I had done months ago. The more I said, the more dumbfounded he stayed. He stood still on his spot and when I was done, he was transfixed.

My face lingered on his face for some sort of expression but it took at least a few moments for him to regain his composure.

"Does your father know?..."

"No," I shook my head. "Nor must he know of it. Please understand me, Vincent. He will be beyond angry when he learns of it,"

"My apologies..." he muttered, looking away. "But you must tell your husband about Lady Daraa. It would be cruel to hide it from him,"

I sighed with frustration as I threw my hands and turned around. Must I take the risk? It was the most pathetic of me to hide secrets from Xander when I always get angry whenever he hides something from me. By the passing day, Daraa's life was fading away and Xander had no idea.