{Chapter 60}

Xander's POV:

It had been six days.

I did not know I survived until this point. Everything was just so new. In my entire span of life, I never stayed at another's residence.

Marwin Sunster is very happy to host me here. I did not know that until Nathaniel made his way. The Duke's squire, Kilen, gossiped to my aide that his Lord had a huge breakout, trying to make this estate as comfortable to me as possible.

I would be out, assessing the situation with the troops stationed at the border for most of the day. So far, there is only one region I need to look at. The water bridge.

It was a large structure that sustained the currents of the river that passes along the borders. It is a very important place as this water was important to the small villages surrounding it. The villages which belonged to Anthreal. Hence, I had to be more careful around this time.

It was a little into the evening as I sat down in the room I stayed in for the past few days. I was writing a letter to Catheline when Nathaniel entered my room.

"Your Majesty," he greeted, a little out of breath.

I was still very much angry with him. I ordered him to stay with Catheline and he did the very opposite. He tried to reason, that my wife must have felt that I would feel alone and uneasy. That I did.

I was a little pleased when Nathaniel arrived though. My wife knows the best for me.

"You are just in time," I said, resuming to write my letter. "I need a bird to fly to the castle,"

"I will see to that right away..." I heard his nervous reply.

I narrowed my eyes and looked up at him. He looked suspiciously flustered and avoided my gaze. I turned around in my chair and looked at him more closely.

"Tell me what is wrong with you," I demanded, fidgeting with the quill in my hand.

He looked at me and sighed. I realized that what he is about to say is embarrassing.

"I seem to forget my way around here," he revealed. "And just now, I was chased by that dog-"

I laughed before he could continue. It was too funny to imagine anyways. I looked up and stopped laughing, after seeing his bright face.

"Not you too, Your Majesty..." he sighed. "Even the Lady Sunster did not spare me the shame by not laughing at the scene,"

At that, I tried not to laugh even more. But the mention of Lady Sunster brought back other memories I had here.

Marwin did tell me many things about his life. He told me about the dark secret that he had been hiding in his chest ever since he heard of it. I told him that he would have to tell her someday. It would pain her even further. I suspect that at this moment, she hopes that the man she loved would come back.

I know that feeling. What is dead will never walk on land again.

I did not have much time, to talk to Merline Sunster as I was out of the estate most of the time. Marwin had pleaded to take him with me to which I obliged.

When I was in the estate, she always tried to avoid me. The fact that we were almost betrothed doesn't seem to bother either of us. She had her heart on someone else and now, I have mine on someone else too.

Keeping that in mind, I turned around again and looked at the letter.

'How is my sweet wife doing? I am to return a day after and I could not wait to see you. I have something very important to tell you and that cannot wait either.'