{Chapter 90}

Xander's POV:

The day arrived. The decision I took over a week ago was about to show some results. Over the past few days, I could barely think or process important issues regarding the kingdom.

An envoy was sent to Sulfia, explaining the situation in clear terms. It had been two days since the man left.

There was a yard in front of the gates that exited the castle. And all four men were chatting excitedly about their upcoming mission. I accommodated them with everything that they ever needed. Weapons, horses, and funding. The scheme was about to begin.

While the other two talked with Nathaniel regarding the safety of his family, I and Marwin Sunster chatted with Aaron and Desmond.

"You might see my brother there," Marwin said, his voice filled with disdain. "If you do, be sure of your safety and identity. The fool is suspicious of everything, that's his nature. But let him have the chance to not doubt you,"

"We will be more careful, My Lord," Aaron nodded and looked at the gates.

We all did. We all waited for someone to appear. And yet, the time of departure was soon to come and yet, no one passed through those gates.

"He's truly not arriving?" Eustice Colton returned from his chat.

"He made his choice. We can't judge him for it," I told him, looking away from the sight. "Remember, I gave him the power to choose,"

Everyone nodded with understanding and began arranging their things with the horses.

"I got a message from someone, Your Majesty," Marwin muttered, making me look at him. "Anonymous,"

"What did it say?"

"There can never be two kings in the same kingdom. And the same for the Sunster family,"

I scoffed lightly, looking at the skies. The snow had calmed down for the last few days. Winter was soon to end.

"You know who might have written it," I shrugged as I gave him a thoughtful look. "Have you found who delivered the message,"

"Unfortunately no," the man sighed. "But there is a conspiracy going around the kingdom. I suspect that we hadn't got ridden of all the spies,"

I was sending spies too. I was doing the same thing my scheming uncle did. When I expressed this to Catheline, she said something that changed my mind.

"He is usurping while we are protecting the kingdom,"

"We will deal with them sure enough," I allowed myself to smile faintly. He gave me a hesitant look that made me look at him. "Speak your mind,"

He opened his mouth to say something but just then, we heard voices and cheers. I looked at the gate to see someone that shook me to the ground. He was here.

"Forgive me for being late!" he shouted as he jumped off his horse, his cloak hovering for a mere second. But he wasn't alone.

"I can't believe it, Lucian," Eustice claimed as he smacked his friend on the shoulder. "You did come after all,"

"Yes," Lucian Grey breathed. He looked at me and bowed but my eyes were fixed on the small figure beside him.

"Come on, Love," her father lead her as they approached me. "Do what I said before,"

The little girl paused for a long time before bowing sweetly. I returned the best smile I could and looked at Lucian.

"I expected otherwise," I told him. "You proved me wrong,"