Chapter Fourteen

Alexis Johnson

Frowning, I glance at the dark-haired woman across from me. Why was I sitting across from her? The last thing I remember was receiving a call from her asking to have breakfast. But why did I agree to this? I let out a breath, grabbing the woman's attention from the menu. Her piercing brown eyes land on me. 

"I didn't force you to come Alexis, if you're uncomfortable you can leave. I have no problem having breakfast by myself."

Rolling my eyes, I shake my head, "It's fine, are you ready to order?" Melani glances down at her menu once more before nodding her head and waving over the waitress. Once we order, the woman makes her way towards the kitchen leaving me in an uncomfortable silence with my ex-girlfriend.

Placing my elbow on the table, I rest my chin in the palm of my hand as I eye the woman across from me. She hasn't aged a day. She's really beautiful. I feel my cheeks heat up as eyes meet my own. "How'd you meet your girlfriend?" 

I bite my lip, remembering how I'd met Alanna. It was such an embarrassing memory. "There was karaoke night at a club by my place and I was in a mood. I got really drunk and then we met outside."

Melani lets out a breath, "C'mon spill the details. Surely there's more to the story."

Eyeing the beauty across from me, I decide there's no use in hiding anything. So I indulge her with my memories. "I was still heartbroken about you leaving me and I'd been singing about it, embarrassing myself really. Alanna was there with a few friends but she had stepped out for a smoke," I smile from the recollection. I remembered stepping past the doors, nearly knocking her over as I stumbled on my feet.

I remembered kissing her and feeling that spark I thought would never return. "The bartender called me a cab and I was going outside for fresh air when I bumped into her. I was a mess and she was... she was so beautiful that night. I embarrassed myself in front of her but surprisingly it left a funny impression so she gave me her number. The next morning she asked if I made it home safely and was wondering if my ass hurt, supposedly I had a pretty bad fall. And it went from there."

Glancing up from the table, I catch a glimpse of jealousy and hurt in Melani's eyes before she quickly averts my gaze. She smiles warmly, "That's really cute. You guys are a cute couple."

Once again, I find myself biting my lip. "What about you? How'd you meet... Daisy?" I question, taking a sip of my orange juice. Humming, Melani shook her head. "It's not something I'd like to share."

I frown in response, "C'mon Mel. I shared my story it's only fair you share yours."

She sighed, glancing away from the table. Her brown eyes move around the cozy restaurant, wanting an out from this conversation. I watch her a few minutes longer before averting my gaze, "You don't have to."

And she doesn't. Silence settles between us, making this more uncomfortable than it already was. We hadn't seen each other in nearly 6 years, things were different. Things changed. I let a few more minutes of silence sink in before parting my lips. "I hate you," I spit.

Eyes immediately spark with hurt as she eyes me. "I guess not generally speaking. Overall you're a decent person but I hate you. I thought coming here would give me closure but I hate looking at you. Maybe it's because even after all these years, I know deep down I still love you."

Melani opens her mouth but I don't let her speak. "We didn't know each other very long. You and Callie came into our lives and things just went from there. I've seen a few good looking women in my life, some who I might've masturbated to a few times but for you, Melani, I would've seat the world on fire. I fell for you so quickly and so hard. You were very hesitant about the whole girlfriends thing so I respected that but once Callie and Logan got married you just disappeared on me. No call, no text, not even an email. I guess because we hadn't known each other longer than a few months you didn't think I was important enough to say something."