Chapter Twenty-Two

Alexis

"Are you excited to start school next week?" I ask the small brunette as I place some pancakes on the plate. She sighs, shaking her head. "I don't like school, I just want to be with my friends." I can't help but chuckle, I pet her head, "Yeah kid, I hated school too. But it gets better. Sort of."

I continue cooking, knowing eventually Callie and Logan would stop fucking and actually come to eat. That's probably the worst part of moving in temporarily, I have to hear them go at it for hours. There's knocking on the door causing Daisy and I to glance at each other. I frown in confusion, Logan didn't inform me that someone would be over. "I got it!" I hear and watch the older brunette appear from the hallway.

I shake my head and continue with my task, not wanting to burn any food. I fix everybody's plate and set it down on the table. "C'mon food's ready," I tell Daisy. She smiles, exiting the kitchen and heading towards the table. I could see Logan coming into view, "Did you order a package?" I question before glancing at the brunette.

My eyes land on the dark-haired woman I had been missing for the past two weeks. Her brown eyes smile at me, "You make enough for an extra person?" she questions. I roll my eyes, annoyed with her presence. I wouldn't be so mad if she had decided to come back two weeks ago. And she never returned my messages or calls. 

She chuckles, "I'm sorry for leaving again, I had unexpected business."

"I can understand that. Mel, I really can. What I can't understand is why you had to ignore my texts and calls for two weeks. I don't know what I was expecting with you."

"You could be happier, I came back faster than I did last time."

I roll my eyes in response and avert my gaze to the brunette. "You and Callie can come to eat now." Logan nods her head, excusing herself to get her wife. I avoid looking at Melani again. "There are extras on the stove, help yourself."

I take my seat across from Daisy who was already eating. "You really like eggs, huh?" I question, watching her scoff down her sunny side up eggs. She nods her head, happily, yolk running down her chin. She ignores the mess, moving to her pancakes. Grabbing the syrup, I pour the sticky liquid over my pancakes. 

Callie and Logan come into the dining room, sitting in their appropriate seats. "Thank you, Lex," the older woman smiles as she digs in. I smile in response. I mean it was the least I could do. They were letting me stay here rent-free. Melani sets her plate down beside me causing me to sigh. I groan when she pulls up a chair and takes the empty space between Logan and I. 

My skin tingles when her leg presses against mine. She leans over to me, "You look nice." I push the woman away, "Eat your food and leave me alone." 

She smiles playfully, nodding her head. "Daisy, you're starting school next week," Callie informs her daughter. Daisy groans, "Aunty Lex already told me." I chuckle as I shove bacon into my mouth. "Aren't you excited?" Logan questions her daughter.

"She's only excited because she gets to see Paisley," I tease, singing her crushs' name. Daisy shakes her head violently, "Nooo!" she spits. I laugh at her, "You don't like Paisley anymore? Maybe Ethan will be her boyfriend."

Bluish-green eyes land on me angrily. "Ethan has cooties! And Paisley is my girlfriend! Mine!"

Callie and Logan laugh at their daughter. "So you do like her?" Logan teases. Daisy can only pout. Callie smiles, leaning over to pinch her cheek and let her know we were just messing with her. Or were we? A phone ringing grabs our attention and I notice that it's mine. I excuse myself from the table, heading over to the device on the couch. My heart drops when I see Alanna's name on the screen.