Chapter Forty-Three

Alexis

"I can't believe you actually said that," Alanna spits, displeased with my actions. I roll my eyes. Knowing she and Melani wouldn't let me live this down. I will admit, maybe I did go a bit overboard. But I just don't understand them. I sigh. "Go after them. Now! Apologize to them both before you lose her," Alanna hisses, forcing me out the door. 

I turn to reject her idea but the woman slams the door in my face, locking it as well. Letting out another breath, I make my way towards the elevator. What am I doing? Why should I even apologize? I knew Melani first! She fell in love with me first! Why can't Daisy just understand and take her attraction somewhere else?

My thoughts are stopped as I hear voices from inside the elevator. "I just want you to be happy. But for fucks sake not with a woman who clearly doesn't care for yours! You put aside your differences with Alanna just for her and she can't do the same for you!" Daisy yells.

I clench my jaw. "She doesn't even know that you don't like mushrooms. I saw you pushing them aside the whole time and I wasn't even there for 30 minutes." 

Biting my tongue, I reach over to press the button but something stops me. I wondered what Melani would say to this. "Break up with her, Mel. I get it you two had something special back then but you moved away and you changed and she did to. Leave that relationship in the past. I know you think you can't find happiness anywhere else but..." she trails.

"If you gave me the chance to, I know I could make you happy."

I swallow the lump in my throat, knowing there were truths to her words. Melani and I have changed, we're not at all the women we were 5 years ago. But I didn't want to lose her, not again. It broke me when she left and it hurt just as much finding out she was happy with someone else. 

"I don't think our age matter much, we're both adults." Pressing my head against the door, I wait to hear exactly what words Melani would speak. Did she truly lose all feelings for me? "Truthfully, I realized that Alexis is not who I want to be with some time ago. I just don't want to be alone anymore."

My heart breaks at her words and I force myself away from the elevator. I make my way back to her home and knock on the door. "That was way too quick, did you even talk to her?" Alanna questions from the other side of the door. "Please just let me in, Alanna. I don't have time for this," I hiss. 

"No. Not until you make this right, Lexi. You claim you love her but you have continuously hurt her since you both have reconnected. Are you trying to lose her completely?" 

I don't say anything as tears roll down my cheeks. Backing away from the door, I glance down the other end of the hallway. Biting my lip, I glance at my feet, realizing I didn't put on shoes when I left. I can't be here when she comes back. It'll just hurt way more than it already does. 

Sighing, I make my way towards the stairs. I've already ruined things, it's not like she'll care. It's not like either of them will. 

______

Melani

I exhale as I try to open my door. I frown once I realize it's locked. Is Alexis really that petty? Is she angry because I ran after Daisy? God, this woman can be so insufferable at times. I knock on the door of my own home and hope that Alanna will be the one to open the door instead of the blonde.

"Lex, seriously just talk to the woman," the brown-skinned woman hisses as she opens the door. I furrow my brows in confusion. Once realizing I wasn't Alexis, Alanna glances behind me. "Where's Lex?" she questions.