Chapter Thirty-Eight

Logan

"You're transferring them?" I question the brown-skinned woman as she combs through Paisley's loose curls. Sighing, the mother nods her head as she gets a decent amount of gel on her finger and places it onto the girls' head. "I'm going to have to, I don't trust them anymore. How would I know if there aren't any more adults there like him?"

I nod my head, understanding her decision. "Daisy isn't going to like that news," I chuckle. Brianna eyes me with a small smile, "Maybe you should transfer her as well. I don't think that school is safe for our kids anymore."

My eyes landed on Paisley who was struggling to stay awake sitting between her mother's legs. All I could think about was Eddie and Harper. Daisy has grown very fond of the two and talks about them regularly, I kind of don't want to take that away from her. And I know it's always a struggle being new to a school especially when the school year has already begun.

"I'll think about it," I sigh.

Silence settles between us for a few minutes as I stare at Paisley. I wonder how a 5-year-old was taking this. Like, how does someone so young process this kind of trauma? And Ashton... he's only 4. 

The sound of the door opening grabs my attention away from the mother and her daughter. I immediately smile as I spot Ashton and Daisy entering the home hand in hand followed behind are my wife and Claire. Daisy is going to be such a good older sister, she's so attentive to Paisley, Ashton, and the twins. And I can tell once they get older she's more likely to be the mom of the group.

Callie leans over, placing her lips against the corner of my mouth. "Hi," I mutter eyeing the woman lovingly. "You're about to be 46, how does it feel to officially be old?" Brianna mutters as she glances at my wife. The brunette rolls her eyes as she takes a seat beside me.

I can't help but smile at Brianna's joke, though it wasn't really a joke. Callie is 4 years away from 50. "You're just annoyed that you won't look this good at my age. I'm 4 years away from half a century and I look 27."

"It's botox and plastic surgery" I joke. Callie laughs sarcastically as she hits me, "Very funny." I laugh as I nod my head, "I know, that's why I said it."

The older woman rolls her eyes, annoyed with me. "What are you two doing for your birthday anyway?" Claire questions, pulling Ashton into her lap as she sat on the loveseat. I can't help but smile as I glance at my wife. Though she wanted the three of us to be together for the majority of her day, I know it ends with the two of us naked in bed. 

"Not much, really. Getting older means birthdays are not about going out and getting blackout drunk. It's nothing appealing about that lifestyle anymore."

"Spoken like a true old woman," I joke. Brown eyes land on me, irritated with my comments about her age. I lean into the woman, "I'm kidding babe. You're not that old." In irritation, Callie scoots away from me causing me to laugh and scoot closer towards her. 

I glance away from my wife as Daisy taps on my leg. "What's up, love?" I question, pulling her onto my lap. "When will I get my little brother?" she questions causing the room to go silent. Callie and I hadn't really announced to anyone that we were thinking about adopting a kid, I mean we didn't want to say anything until we were certain we could. 

"Expanding the family, huh?" Claire smiles at me. Shyly I nod my head and turn my attention back to Daisy. "Baby, we talked about this already. We can't adopt until we get approved. And that's not going to happen for the next few months."

She pouts, clearly too impatient to wait. That was understandable, I was also very eager to adopt.  I wonder what our child would be like, would he be able to adjust to being with us or having two mothers. I was both nervous and excited. "Are you two against adopting a girl? Or does it really matter the gender?" Brianna questions.