Chapter Thirty-Nine

Callie

"I can't believe they banned you from going on campus, isn't that illegal?" Logan questions as she steps out of the restroom. I shake my head and glance at the woman, "It's not. A principal has the legal right to ban a parent from their campus based on previous behavior. I just can't believe I'm being prohibited on campus for saving little kids' lives!"

The brunette chuckles, "You did beat a man with a desk, Cal. That's pretty dangerous if you ask me. Like I've said before, you should've let the police handle the situation."

I glare at the woman. "So he could spend only 18 years in prison?" I scoff, glad I did what I did. I should've killed him. I was so tempted to ask his son what was going to happen to him since he decided to drop the charges. Was he going to let his father roam the streets safely? Or was he going to send him to jail?

I sigh and roll my eyes. "Are you going to work today?" I question the woman as she got dressed. Smiling, her hazel eyes land on me as she nods her head happily. I smile at the young woman, "Are you excited?"

"Can you tell?" she chuckles, her smile growing twice in size. "I'm happy for you, Lo. It's been eating you up inside to find a job and now you got one, I'm proud of you. I know you'll be the best caretaker there," I mutter as I place my hands behind my head and lean onto the headboard. 

Her eyes practically twinkle as she stares at me, "What about you? When are you going to go back to work?"

"Jeremy wants me to take the week off to clear my head. Doesn't want me attacking anyone with a desk on my first day back. So I'll probably go to the bookstore and buy myself a few books. Read, drink some wine... old people things."

The woman bites her lip as she eyes me before turning her attention away. "I haven't seen you in your reading glasses in a while, make sure to send me a picture."

I laugh, "No way. I look terrible in those glasses. You're just looking for a way to bully me," I joke. Before we could continue our conversation a knock at the door grabbed our attention. Daisy doesn't wait for an answer as she enters. I smile at the younger version of Logan. "Mama, I'm ready!" she smiles, holding onto her backpack straps.

"C'mere sweetie," I wave her over. She does as told, making her way towards me with a wide smile. Sitting up, I pull my daughter into my lap and give her a tight hug. "Be good for mommy okay? And if anything strange happens at school I want you to tell Miss Blacc right away, okay?"

She nods her head and kisses my cheek. "I promise," she spits cheekily. I release the girl and watch her exit the room before bringing my eyes back to Logan. "Be careful, okay? And have a good day." With a smile, the brunette makes her way over to me, pressing her lips against mine. Tempting me to pull her back into bed. 

I almost do. 

Pulling away, her eyes remain on my lips, "Don't have too much fun without me." I roll my eyes at the woman, "I'll try. Now get going before Daisy attacks you with a desk for making her late," I joke.

The woman laughs and nods her head, exiting the room. I remain silent for a few seconds, listening for the door. Once I hear it open and close, I lean back onto the headrest. Today is going to be so lonely by myself. Did I really expect to be entertained with wine and a few books? Sighing, I lay back down, not wanting to do anything yet.

- - - - -

My fingers move past the book spines as I read over each one, waiting to come across something interesting. After going down the row, I roll my eyes and randomly grab for a book, stopping the moment another hand comes into view. I glance down at the dirty-blonde girl. Her green eyes landed on me as well surprised I was going for the same book as she.