44

Lance leaned against his lover, fidgeting with his hands.
"Whatcha thinking about?" Keith questioned, continuing to run his fingers through the brunette's hair.
"I..." Lance trailed off, not looking up at Keith. "I dunno, just stuff," The alpha murmured as he shrugged his shoulders.
"Alright then. It's getting close to dinner, just so you know," Keith said with a sigh. Lance was dreading going to dinner tonight. All he could think about was how he could have done more to protect Keith. Lance hugged himself tightly, catching the attention of his omega. The alpha was heading into a downward spiral, something that hadn't happened in a while.
"Are you sure you're alright?" Keith asked, a look of concern.
"There's so much more I could have done," Lance whispered, hugging himself more tightly.
"What do you mean, Lance?" Keith questioned, his eyebrows knitting together.
"I-I could've done more. I should have seen. I should've done better," Lance cried out softly.
"Lance, what are you talking about?" Keith asked, trying to make Lance look him in the eyes.
"I didn't keep you safe. I didn't stop Carson from hurting you. I should've noticed him hurting you sooner," Lance continued to cry, digging his fingernails into his skin. "He hurt you so many times, and I didn't even notice you were gone. I didn't even see you stopped coming to school. I fucked up, Keith. I fucked up everything," Lance clenched his fists, tears streaming down his face. Keith's expression softened as he wiped the tears from Lance's cheeks.
"None of this is your fault, Lance," Keith spoke in a gentle, affirming tone.
"B-but... there's so much more I could have done," Lance sobbed out quietly.
"There's nothing you could have done for me back then," Keith whispered.
"I should have seen the signs. I could have done something, Keith," Lance squeezed his eyes shut, making more tears flow down his tan skin.
"You've done so much for me since we've become paladins. You've taken care of me, helped me through my pregnancy. You're Lance, the paladin of the red lion. The Lance that's always got my back, and the Lance that know exactly who he is and what he's got to offer," Keith said with confidence as he hugged Lance. Lance opened his eyes and let out a shaky breath.
"You're right," The alpha sniffled, leaning into Keith's chest for comfort.

Keith examined himself in the mirror, a frown plastered across his face. Did this shirt make him look too fat? Were his pants too small? Keith shook his head, trying to clear the disruptive thoughts. Dinner was in less than an hour, but both Keith and Lance seemed tense. I hope I won't have to see Carson, Keith thought to himself with a shutter. The thought of his abuser being anywhere near him made Keith's skin prickle with fear.
"Are you alright?" Lance asked gently, watching as Keith fidgeted with his clothing.
"Um, yeah, I'm fine," Keith reassured, looking over his shoulder at Lance. He forced a smile before looking away from Lance.
"Are you sure you're ok, Kitten?" Lance pressed, worry showing through in his voice. Keith tensed and bit his tongue to stop himself from snapping at Lance.
"I'll be fine," Keith sighed out as he turned to face Lance.
"I just wanted to make sure," Lance said, his expression softening as he looked up at his omega. "Y'know, if you don't wanna come to dinner, I can bring you something back, right?"
"I'm going to dinner, Lance," Keith said with a huff. He didn't want the team to think he was weak. After feeling weak for so long, Keith felt like he needed to prove his worth.
"That's fine, Keith," Lance responded, his tone now defensive. "I didn't say you couldn't go to dinner. I just told you that if you're uncomfortable-" Lance began, but was quickly shut down by Keith.
"I know what you said, Lance. I'm going to dinner. I'm not hiding in this damned room anymore, shaking in fear of being hurt. I'm not weak," Keith snapped and turned away from the other.
"...No one said you were weak, Keith," Lance responded more calmly, not wanting to fight.
"You say that, and yet everyone treats me like I'm nothing more than an omega. The team treats me with pity. You treat me like I'm weak, too." Keith lashed out again, clenching his fists with anger. "Y'know what? Just keep Carson here. I don't give a shit. I'm going back to the Blade of Marmora," Keith shouted. He stormed off, not listening as Lance called out after him. There's no point in staying. The team, Lance, They don't want me here, Keith thought to himself as he headed down to the pods.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Enjoy more random angst 👍