51

Three months had passed since Keith had left the team. Lance hadn't received any reply from his omega. The bond they had faded, leaving Lance feeling depressed. He rarely went on missions any more unless he was actually needed. Lance felt useless and lost in his depression. He barely even had the energy to take care of his own pups. A knock at his bedroom door pulled Lance from his destructive thinking.

"Who is it?" Lance questioned, his voice sounding dull.

"Oh good, you're awake," Hunk said as he entered Lance's room, a plate of food in his hand. "I figured you'd be hungry, so I made you something to eat," Hunk was gentle as he spoke. He felt pity for his friend. Lance hadn't left his room for a few days, leaving the rest of the team to take care of Alex and Trent. Hunk sighed as he replaced the uneaten plate of food he had brought the day before with the fresh one.

"I'm not hungry, Hunk," Lance groaned as he rolled over onto his back and looked up at the beta.

"Well, Shiro wants to start sending you on more missions. You need to eat, so you can have the energy," Hunk explained, making eye contact with the other. Lance averted his gaze. He knew Hunk was right, but that didn't make it any easier to take care of himself. Lance grunted as he pushed himself into a sitting position.

"That's good. Now, have something to eat and take a shower," Hunk gave Lance a pitied smile. Lance nodded, a sigh escaping his throat as he reached for the plate on his nightstand.

Lance ate what he could without feeling sick. Getting out of bed felt like a challenge, but Lance forced himself to get up. Hunk is right. Pull yourself together. Lance thought to himself, running his fingers through his greasy hair. He looked at himself in the mirror, a look of disgust on his face. Dark eye bags sat under Lance's eyes, and his stringy hair framed his stubbled chin. Lance stripped down to his boxers. He felt like his body was nothing more than skin and bones. Lance pulled his attention away from his mess of a body. He finished undressing and climbed into the shower.

"It's nice to see you out of bed, Lance," Shiro said as Lance entered the bridge.

"It's nice to be back, I guess..." Lance looked down, not making eye contact with the other alpha. "I haven't been feeling too great, mentally at least," He sighed as he sat on the floor.

"Well, would you be ready for some small missions?" Shiro asked, looking down at Lance.

"I guess so... I don't wanna leave Alex and Trent alone for too long. I've already missed so much,"

"I can understand why. I do have a mission for you, though,"

Lance looked up at Shiro. He was unsure if he would be ready to take on a mission.

"We just got transmissions not too long ago that a civilian ship crashed on planet Harah. It's not too far from where we are right now. Do you think you could take care of it on your own?" Shiro questioned as he looked down at Lance.

"Yeah! Yeah, of course, I can do that," Lance said, giving Shiro a half-smile.

"Good. I'll send the coordinates to your lion,"

Lance jumped up from the floor and began to leave the bridge.

"I'll be back in no time,"

Finally... A chance to prove I'm not entirely useless. Lance thought to himself as he went to grab his armor out of his room.

Once Lance was in his armor, he went down to his lion.

"Hey, Red," He spoke mostly to himself as he approached the giant mechanical feline. Lance could feel the lion's purrs pulsing through his body as he climbed into the ship. "I know... It's been a while," He murmured as he ran his hand across the interior walls. Lance sat down in his seat, a tingle running down his spine as the chair moved forward.

It wasn't long before Lance arrived at planet Harah after leaving the castle. Harah was an uninhabited planet covered in snow. Lance frowned as he entered the atmosphere and landed Red on the snow-covered ground. He exited the lion and stepped out onto the snow, shivering as a cold wind blew past him. Lance's scanners showed a single dot ahead of him. He walked towards the speck, trying to find the civilian. Lance found a small shelter and entered inside it. He was attacked by one of the civilians. Lance fought back, but he was quickly overtaken and tied up.

"He's pathetic for a paladin," One of the thieves scoffed as they left the shelter. Lance fought against the binding but couldn't seem to get free. Pain shot through Lance's shin, making him stop his struggle and take a few deep breaths.

"Fuck..." Lance mumbled to himself, tilting his head back to rest against the wall. He could hear the thieves outside the shelter looking for the ship Lance had arrived in. Lance knew Red wouldn't let them take her. He knew she wouldn't leave him. Lance let out a shaking breath, his breath visible in the cold air. It was going to be a long and frigid night. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yum yum. we got some more angst.