Ch.48 - Brown

"You do understand that nothing you say to me will get back to your parents... right?" Dr. Brown questioned as her head tilted to the side. Her reddish-brown hair was cut into a medium length with bangs that curtained her forehead. Her hair was pulled back into a ponytail neatly behind her head. She wore much thinner black frame glasses than Dr. Andrews. She would take them off from time to time, as she only needed them to read.

With a sigh, your shoulders slumped as you curled up in your seat, trying to retreat. For what it was worth, Dr. Brown seemed more approachable than the dreary old Dr. Andrews.

"Dr. Andrews said the same thing." You pointed out as you narrowed your gaze at Dr. Brown, trying to find any sign that she may have been lying to you. She remained still, motionless as she stared back at you.

"I'm not Dr. Andrews." She said matter of factly. Reaching for her glasses, she set them down on her notepad along with her pin and took in a breath. "Not to speak ill of past employees, but I have the impression Dr. Andrews didn't make you feel secure and safe in what you told him."

"That's an understatement." You muttered under your breath as your eyes cast away from her and toward the bland wall. "Tell me about it?" She questioned as opposed to demanding. "It's an experience in your life that troubles you, and that's why I'm here. You can say anything you'd like, and nothing you don't."

You pondered on the thought. It's not like she was asking much, just tell her about Dr. Andrews. A small first step, what was she going to do? Tell your parents that you didn't like him? Who cared?

Letting go of your reservations, you decided to tell her about your experience with the previous doctor. At first, you kept the conversations vague, but after an hour you started to say what you really thought.

"He didn't care about his patients, he only cared about keeping me here so he could keep collecting my parent's fucking money." Using more colorful language, Dr. Brown never looked at you any less. She continued to listen and nod her head along until you had finally finished.

"To be frank, your not the first patient to express displeasure in Dr. Andrews." She admitted, reassuring you that your feelings were valid. Your shoulders straightened out as you sat up. You hadn't even noticed that your body language was starting to let her in. "I'm glad you shared that information with me, Y/N."

Your eyes shifted around the room in wonder. Dr. Andrews was never this compassionate, which lead to the paranoia that Dr. Brown was only being kind in attempts to get information to feed back to your parents. She was out for only herself, right?

"It looks like our time is up, but I do want to clarify a few things before you go." Folding her arms in her lap, she crossed one leg over the other and tried to make eye contact with you. It was difficult to make eye contact with people you didn't share a familiar bond with, but you tried your best in an attempt to read her.

"I take my job seriously. I do not answer to your parents or anyone else. I genuinely want to help you get through your troublesome thoughts and move forward. I want to do my job, which is to get you out of this place and into a better way of life... Is that what you want?"

With a meek odd of your head, you answered. "Good." Dr. Brown said as her lips curled into a smile that was comforting to see. The two of you said your pleasant goodbyes before she escorted you to the door to let you run free back to your room.

For the first time, you didn't leave that room feeling worse. Most of the time, you felt confused and angry, irritated that he kept trying to poke and pray at your emotions to try and find something to give to your parents as confirmation that you belonged here. Inwardly, you hoped this Doctor would be different.