Ch. 78 - Goodbye!

Holding the air in her lungs, she looked down at her feet just inches from the end of the cement half wall that guarded the roof. Her hands shaking, she clenched her fists and forced her will to be iron clad. She had to do this, it was the only way out. It was the only way her family would be protected, this was the last thing she could do to save them. The world... it would be a better place without her... 

Kasey released her breath, swallowing the lump in her throat that remained logged there despite her efforts. It was hard to breathe, hard to think of anything else but the pavement below. He said it wouldn't hurt, did he mean it? Is that just what people thought before the end? One step into the open air, that's all it took. "It's time..." Yoongi said, letting his hand remain on her shoulder as he held her. Was he trying to prevent the chance of her running away? Did he plan to push her if she started to resist? Kasey could feel the chill of his hand through her green scrubs that did little to protect her from the elements. 

Closing her eyes, she could feel her body was starting to go numb thanks to the cold. The needle prick sensation faded into nothing. Maybe this is why she wouldn't feel any pain, was it a blessing or a curse? Tilting her head up to the sky, she felt the snowflakes against her face. The trail of tears down her cheek started to freeze against her skin. Involuntarily her life was taken in the rain. Now, she was going to end it in the snow. 

Kasey had only two choices left in her life. Would she die with her eyes closed, allowing her brain to form of peace before the impact? Falling through the air was sure to raise her blood pressure and bring forth anxiety. Kasey opened her eyes, deciding it was better to keep her eyes open in the final moments as opposed to seeing only darkness as exited the physical world. Her other choice. Would she face the earth as she kissed it with her death, or turn to say goodbye to the sky as you returned to the earth? Eyes on the sky, she made her final choice. To feel every last moment, take in every single color of the storm clouds. She would turn in her fall and face the sky she craved to belong to, see one last beautiful thing before her eyes closed forever. Her right foot raised and extended out, Death's brows furrowed as he realized Kasey had frozen. Her eyes to the sky, one foot in the grave but she was motionless.  

"NO!" A voice screamed, causing Kasey's whole body to jerk back to life. The sudden movement sent her sense of balance crumbling. Kasey took in a large breath, looking down at her feet as she was losing traction, her body leaning forward. 'This is it?' Kasey said to herself, that it would be her luck life would throw an unexpected twist at the end. 

Going from the brink of death to having one's head bounce against concrete was jarring, to say the least. Kasey's breath locked away in her lungs as she felt the collar of her shirt tighten around her neck. She could feel a fist at her back, tangled up in her shirt for grip. With all their might, the person yanked Kasey backward. Kasey's eyes were forced shut. Her back slammed against the right side of another's chest causing them to turn as the two of them slammed against the concrete on their sides. Kasey could feel strong arms engulf her, trying their best to protect her from harm as they fell hard to the ground. Kasey's head snapped against the concrete ground, she could feel her brain rattle against her skull. Kasey's hands raised to grab her head, trying to shield it from a blow that already happened. Curling in on herself she could only focus on the pain. Pain? Pain is what distinguishes reality from dreams.

"Kasey!" A familiar man's voice boomed in her ears as her eyes snapped open. He called her...? "Are you okay?" Kasey opened her mouth to speak, but the words remained locked in her lungs. The gravity of what he had just done began to settle in her bones. By saving her life, had he just effectively ended his own? Tears bubbled in the corner of her eyes as she forced her head down, hanging it low to hide her tears. She didn't want this to be the last image Taehyung had of you. Kasey knew you'd never want that image to ever cross his mind, your death