2-Dinner Disaster

Persephone

At five I throw on a jacket and make the walk towards the diner where I plan to meet my dad for dinner.

Peyton decided to tag along like she does some times. Usually it was just me and my father but it makes the dinner a little more bearable if Peyton was there. 

Especially tonight. 

We take a seat in the back booth. Peyton sitting next to me as we wait for my dad to arrive. 

My knee bounces as I think about what Asa said earlier. I'm sure he didn't mean any harm but it caused harm. 

Peyton continues to reassure me that my dads intention wasn't to hurt my feelings but I only had listen to her as I wait for him

A few minutes later he shows up.

"Hey." my dad says before taking the seat across from me and Peyton. 

Not even a 'Hows school?' or 'By the way I never told my team you existed.' before he picked up and scanned the menu. 

We have been eating here for the past two years and he always scans it as if he might be adventurous and try something new. 

Spoiler alert he gets the same double stacked burger and waffle fries every week. 

I glare at my dad, willing him to look up at me and Peyton sends me a knock it off look. I just roll my eyes at her and pretend to read my own menu. 

A few moments later the waitress walks over to us, a smile on her face. 

"What can I get for you guys?"

Peyton and I get the spicy chicken burgers, which pair great with ranch and waffle fries. 

"And for you?" the waitress asks my dad. 

He tuts as he stares down at the menu, like he truly can't decide, before saying, "I'll get the double stacked burger and waffle fries." Who would've guessed?

I send Peyton an exasperated look and she shrugs. 

The waitress takes our menus and lets us know the food will be out shortly. 

"So how's coaching?" I ask and dad looks up at me. 

Unlike my deep blue eyes - the same as my moms - his are light brown. 

"Good, Foster is making good progress this year."

I know who he's talking about. Miles Foster is also first string along with Asa. 

Miles is your boy next door, all American player. He's got blond hair and blue eyes, a bright smile and bubbly personality. There has also never been a bad thing said about him in the year he's been attending school here. 

Basically a golden retriever. 

"Ridge and Brookes are still a pain in my ass."

Phoenix Ridge is what you'd call the 'big man on campus' figuratively and literally. 

He's tall - like six seven tall - and built like a wall. He's also the cockiest and most self centered guy on the planet. 

Last year he convinced our professor to let him switch partners because I didn't 'get him going'.

Not only was I disgusted by him because like what the heck?!?! But the fact that the professor actually let him switch partners. 

Oh have I mentioned that Phoenix is Asa's best friend?