40-You're Just Like Your Father

Asa

Our game goes good, we sweep the floor with the other team. 

We are supposed to be headed back tonight but I couldn't fight the feeling that there was a reason we had a game here. That it was telling me I had to check in with my mom. 

I had been texting Percy through it all and she encouraged me to do what I felt was best for myself. That no matter what she would be in my corner which brought me some relief. 

She also told me if I needed Coach to stay here with me he would but I didn't want to have to rely on him. 

"You sure you want to do this man?" Ridge asks me as he packs his stuff up. I nod as I put on a grey tee shirt. 

No matter what I need this closure with my mom. One thing I've learned being with Percy is that I can't blame myself for her actions. 

She didn't want to leave and while I wished she would've I couldn't stop her from staying. We all have to make decisions in life and she chose her abuser over her son, over a better future.

I can't understand how hard it must be to leave someone like that but I wish she would've if not for me then for herself. 

"I can stay back If you need me to." He tells me but once again I find myself shaking my head. 

I want, no, need to do this on my own. 

"You sure?" He asks and this time I say, "yes." Instead of just nodding. 

Ridge sighs, "I don't like this Brookes."

I shrug, "You don't have to like it, doesn't mean I'm not going to do it anyways."

"Just don't get too caught up in whatever she says, aight?" 

He claps me on the shoulder before heading out, leaving me alone to think about how this is going to go. 

I pull a Percy and order an uber to my moms and step dads house. 

While waiting outside I watch as the guys filter into the bus that'll take them back home. Coach is the last one out of the building and when he sees me standing there he pauses. 

Oh great. 

"I heard you're going to see your mom Brookes." He says and I nod. 

He sighs, "Seph tell you about what her and I talked about a while back?" I shake my head no. 

All I knew was whatever they talked about had Percy seeing him in a new light but she wouldn't betray her dads trust by telling me what they talked about. 

"Let's just say we have more in common that I would like." He grimaces, "Just because they're blood doesn't make them family, got it?" I nod. 

I think my head might fall off because of all the nodding I'm doing today. 

He squeezes my shoulder before heading towards the bus and I watch as it drives away, a moment later the uber pulls ups and I get inside. 

The minutes tick by the closer we get to the house and the more antsy I feel. 

If they still follow the same routine they have for years I know my step dad is at work and my mom is at home. 

I don't think there was ever a point in my life where she kept and held a steady job and being honest I don't see that changing either. 

Sure enough when we pull up outside her blue Volkswagen is outside and his ford truck isn't. 

I thank the driver and get out, heading straight towards the front door.