23-Locked In

Persephone

"I can't decide whether you're bullshitting me or not." I say, propping my chin on my hand. 

Peyton rolls her eyes as she tugs on a pair of yoga pants. 

"I'm serious. Phoenix offered to teach me how to swim and I couldn't just say no to an offer like that."

I huffed a laugh. 

My best friend could swim to an extent. She could tread water but she couldn't actually swim, unless you counted doggy paddling.

She also can't go under water without plugging her nose, hell she can't even dive to the bottom of a pool. 

Yeah she could probably use this lesson seeing as Phoenix used to swim for his high school team. 

He's probably a better teacher than I ever was. 

"I still can't believe you didn't tell me until like ten minutes before you are leaving." I say and she scoffs, "As if I didn't have to find out from Phoenix that you and Asa are hanging out today."

She puts a hand on her hip, "Say is it for a study session?"

I narrow my eyes at her and she smirks when she realizes I can't use that defense. 

We were pretty much done with the project and now were hanging out just because we wanted to. 

Ever since Asa's confession we have been doing good, well as good as we can get while avoiding the fat ass elephant in the room. 

Neither of us have crossed any lines passed what was considered platonic but I could tell he wanted to. 

I definitely wanted to. 

Even though he finally let me in I can see he's still guarded. For some insane reason Asa feels as if he's too damaged to be happy. 

Well I say bullshit. 

He deserves better than what his parental figures did to him. He deserved to be loved as every child should be. 

I just hope one day he'll see that he can let his guard completely down with me. I wanted to show him how incredible it is to trust and love someone. 

God knows I love him. 

Have I accepted that fact? Yes. 

Was I ready to voice it? Hell no. 

Asa can barely wrap his head around the fact that I still want to be near him after his past let alone be in love with him. 

Which is why I am keeping that declaration to my self for as long as I need to. It won't be easy given how often we spend time together. 

"You know you and Phoenix have been spending quite a lot of time together." I note taking the heat off of me. 

Sometimes you got to do what you got to do. 

The slightest blush coats Peyton's cheeks as she pulls her blonde hair into a pony tail. 

"He's not the worst company." She says, slipping on her shoes and grabbing her wallet. 

"Besides knowing you and Asa will eventually stop this weird game and get together I feel as your best friend I should at least be aquatinted with Asa's."

I roll my eyes, "Use that shit on someone who's buying." 

My features turn serious as I prepare for what I say next. 

"For what it's worth I think hanging out with Phoenix is a good thing. I trust him with you and I know - even if you won't admit it - you want him around as more than just an acquaintance."