7-On The Ice

Persephone 

Today is my first day as a student teacher. Whoop whoop, someone pop the champagne.

I decided to actually dress nice for my first day. That just means I wore something teacher friendly. 

I put on a green and white short sleeve sundress and my white van slip ons. 

Heck I even curled my hair and applied mascara. My hair was also in a ponytail and all the wisps had been gelled back. 

From what my advisor told me I'll be doing classes every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for the next three months. 

"Have fun and watch out for ankle biters." Peyton jokingly says as I leave the dorm. 

I ordered an über to take me to the elementary school. 

* * * 

"Hi you must be Seph, I'm Kelly Cartwright." The raven haired woman says as I enter her class. 

The room was filled with different posters and decorations and it smelt like crayons. 

We shake hands. Oooh look at me being all professional.

"The kids will be here soon. Today I want you to more or less shadow me, watch how I run things. Now I know everyone has a different teaching style and it might take a while for you to find what works best for you and your students...."

She goes on about how she sets up the beginning of class and I listen closely. 

About a half an hour later the kids begin to trickle in as their parents drop them off. 

They take a seat at their assigned tables. Each of them know where to sit based on the colored square on the corner of their desk. 

I guess it matched the cubbies they put their backpacks in. Kind of a interesting idea, I am so stealing it for my own future classroom. 

Once everyone is here Kelly starts class. 

"Ok class I have some fun and exciting news. We have another teacher joining us today, say hello to Miss. Porter." She says and all the students shout 'Hi' to me. 

It was the most adorable thing ever. I don't know why people hate working with kids, they're so cute. 

Then I watch a kid sneeze and wipe the snot on his leg and I remember why.

Kelly hands me papers to pass out and I make sure to keep a good distance from me and the snot kid. 

"Ok so today we are starting the class with a fun exercise. I want you from memory to write out the alphabet."

All of the little first grades get to work on writing out the alphabet. 

"Mrs. Cartwright what comes after Q?" A little boy asks from the blue table. 

She smiles, "Good question Cory, how about we all sing the alphabet together and when we get to Q we can try from there to see what comes next."

Everyone sings the alphabet and she stops once we go from Q to R.

Cory, a little red headed boy thanks her before writing the answer down. 

After they all finish writing out the alphabet - or best they can -  Kelly writes the word 'Cat' on the board. 

"Ok so now we have Cat, can anyone tell me a word that rhymes with cat?"

A curly headed girl with thick rimmed glasses raises her hand.