Chapter 10: Jean's Loneliness

After Diluc went off to work, Jean felt a little lonely. She couldn't get out of bed, and no one was there to talk with her. She wanted Diluc to come back soon. Jean sighed and looked at the bedroom door. Should she try standing up again? Jean thought for a moment, and decided she was going to try and stand up again. Jean sat up, and placed her feet down on the floor. She stood up, and she didn't feel as much pain as the last time. Jean could handle the pain piercing in her leg, if it means that she could go and do something. Jean wobbled slowly to the door, and opened it. But now, she had to deal with stairs. How could she go down the stairs? It was already painful enough to stand up. But now she had to go down the stairs? Jean thought about going back to the bedroom. But then she realised she had gone this far (not really far) so she should just try. Jean slowly descended down the staircase, her leg aching every step of the way. When she finally reached the bottom, she was breathing very heavily. Then, the maid of the Dawn Winery spotted her, and rushed to her side.

- Grand Master! Are you alright? Do you need me to help you upstairs again?

Jean shook her head, still panting. She needed something to eat too. Jean asked the maid if she could bring her some food. The maid nodded and helped her to a chair. Then the maid rushed to the kitchen to get Jean some food. When the maid returned, Jean could smell a fimiliar aroma. Jean inhaled it, then realised it was the dish 'Fisherman's Toast' from Good Hunter's. The maided handed Jean the food politely, then told Jean if she needed anything just call for her. Jean thanked the maid, and started eating the toast. It was odd how she was always hungry these days. It was probably because she hadn't had dinner when Lumine was still in Monstadt. After she was done, Jean ried to stand up and bring the plate back to the kitchen, but she couldn't. Jean felt as if she was glued to the chair. Jean didn't want to disturb the maid, but she had no choice. She called out for her, and the maid ran to Jean's side.

- Do you need anything, Grand Master?

- I'm sorry for disturbing you. But could you take this plate back to the kitchen please?

- Of course, Grand Master!

The maid then walked away with Jean's plate. Jean sighed deeply and rested her head on the backside if the chair. She felt a little better now that she could talk to someone. But she was still bored and lonely. She wanted Diluc to come back and talk to her. Her thoughts quickly disappeared as her eyelids drooped down, and Jean slept. Jean was woken up with a 'click' at the front door. She opened her eyes, and saw Diluc! Before she could say anything, Diluc was already calling out her name.

- Jean? Jean! I'm back!

Diluc was surprised that she didn't answer. Jean was still very tired, so she couldn't really say anything loudly.

- I'm over here!

Jean tried to shout. Diluc seemed to hear her voice, and looked around. That's when he saw her in a chair, and Diluc walked over to her.

- Why are you downstairs, Jean? I told you to stay in bed! You could've hurt yourself! Wait no. You did hurt yourself by trying to stand up!

Diluc shouted quietly, trying not to attract attention. Jean couldn't reply. She didn't want to say that she felt lonely. Diluc sighed and carried her back upstairs and into the bedroom.

- No! Don't take me back to take me back to the bedroom! I feel lonely...

Jean quickly covered her mouth. How could she let her tongue slip like that?! Diluc stared at her.

- You...feel lonely?

Diluc asked. Jean moved her hands from her mouth and to her face, hiding her embarrasment.

- Jean. Answer my question. Were you lonely?

Jean nodded slightly. To Jean's surprise, Diluc brought her back downstairs, and laid her on the couch. He sat next to her and asked:

- Do you feel less lonely now?

Jean's face turned red. She nodded again, and turned to face the back of the couch.

- Don't be embarrased. Everyone feels lonely sometimes. It's a natural thing.

DIluc said, trying to turn Jean to face him. Jean mumbled something under her breath, and rested her head on Diluc's lap.