Chapter 14: Ashes

Jean and Diluc walked, and walked, and walked. Finally, they reached the top of the mountain. Jean marveled at how beautiful the town was. The houses were so well built, and there was even a fountain in the middle of town! Jean couldn't help but smile. Then, she saw a palace. Jean was so surprised at the sight of Sumeru that she completely forgot why she was there.

- Diluc... It's so beautiful!

Diluc chuckled and kissed her. The two wanted to explore Sumeru. But first, they needed a place to stay. The walked around the town, and spotted a nice-looking hotel. Jean and Diluc entered the hotel, and got greeted by many people.

- Hi! Are you here to stay?

The receptionist asked. Diluc said yes and picked out a fancy room for the two of them. They were only staying for 1 night. 

- Ah. That'll be 750000 Mora please!

Jean's eyes widened:

- 750000 Mora?!

Diluc paid for it.

- Diluc! That's too expensive! I don't wan you to waste your money on us!

Diluc looked at Jean.

- If I don't spend money on us then what will I spend money on?

Jean sighed, but let Diluc pay for it. The receptionist called out a woman, and the woman led Jean and Diluc to their room, which turned out to be a villa.

- Oh my- Diluc! We don't need a villa!

Jean hit Diluc's chest when Diluc pulled her closer to him. He took a few hits before cutting her off with a kiss. The two parted, and Diluc stared into Jean's eyes, making her blush lightly.

- I'm still mad at you.

Jean pouted. Diluc leaned in for another kiss, then the two walked inside the villa.

- Do you like it?

Diluc asked, gripping Jean's hand. 

- It looks so- wait no. It is beautiful and I love it a lot but that still doesn't change the fact that you wasted 750000 Mora on this villa that we don't need!

Diluc ignored Jean. He then pulled Jean to explore the villa. There were 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1 huge living room, and 1 kitchen. Jean marveled at everything, making Diluc snicker a bit. After they finished exploring, Diluc checked the time. 

- Oh! Jean! It's almost time for the ball!

Jean froze. 

- But I don't have anything to wear... 

- Sure you do. I bought this dress for you.

Diluc held up a stunning dress. It was white, and it looked like it has been decorated with dandelions. Not to mention incredibly shiny white jewels. Jean took the dress and went inside the biggest bedroom to dress up. Jean undid her ponytail and styled her hair into a braid-like bun. She looked around the bedroom and spotted a white flower. Jean took it and placed it in her hair. She changed into the dress that Diluc gave her, and started to do makeup. 30 minutes has passed now. Diluc started to get worried. 5 minutes before the ball. Was Jean alright? Just when Diluc was about to check on Jean, she stepped out. Diluc turned red. Jean looked gorgeous. Her hair was in a beautiful bun, her ocean eyes glowed brightly. 

- I'm uh.. ready...

Jean tucked her hair shyly behind her ear. Diluc smiled and pulled Jean closer to him.

- You look beautiful, Jean.

Jean blushed. But then Diluc realized they were late for the ball! He quickly took her hand and puled her outside of the villa and ran to the palace. When they arrived, there was a guard standing at the door.

- Name?

The guard asked.

- Diluc Ragnvindr and Jean Gunnhildr. 

The guard nodded and stepped aside for the couple to pass. They entered the ball, it looked magnificent. Diluc offered Jean a hand. Jean smiled and took it, and they both started dancing. After about 15 minutes, Jean and Diluc heard a 'crash' in the palace. They noticed the ceiling was starting to collapse. Everyone in the palace ran to escape. 

- Jean! We have to get out of here!

Diluc shouted, grabbing Jean's arm. They both rushed out of the palace, just to realize they couldn't open the door.

- Shit!

Diluc mumbled. The ground then started to shake. The two fell down and Diluc pulled Jean's head closely to his chest, and the two closed their eyes shut. And then the ceiling fell.