Chapter 26: Battle to Decide It All

The seven people stared at Aether and Lumine. Earlier, Aether had dismissed his army, and he said he wanted to fight the seven people alone with Lumine. Without any warning, Aether slammed his fist on the ground, making geo shards stick up from the ground. Venti quickly made a wind current for everyone to dodge the geo shards. While Jean was trying to dodge the shards, she saw Lumine not doing anything and looking away. 'Weird...does she not want to do this?' Jean thought to herself. Jean then felt someone grab her waist and pull her away from the incoming Electro orbs.

- What are you thinking about-?

It was Venti. 

- Oi! Hands off!

Diluc approached Venti and snatched him from Jean. He grabbed her hand and snarled at Venti. Venti chuckled and shot a magic arrow towards Aether.

- Aether! Incoming!

Lumine finally cried. Aether looked at the arrow, and swiftly dodged it.

- Haha... all you can do~?

Aether mocked. Diluc growled and charged towards Aether. Everyone seemed to follow Diluc's lead. Jean lunged forward towards Aether, pulling out her sword. Her sword and Aether's clashed together.

- Jean Gunhildr. The Acting Grand Master of the Knights of Favonius. And lover of Diluc Ragnvindr.

Aether said, smirking. 

- But, maybe not lover. Perhaps...more like enemy.

Jean's eyes widened. She clenched her teeth and kicked Aether in the leg. Aether was pushed backwards, then Jean saw Keqing and Lady Ningguang approaching Aether from behind. Lady Ningguang summoned her star jades, and shot them towards Aether. Aether then suddenly flew up into the air, laughing at the sight of Lady Ningguang missing. Keqing threw her teleportation piece into the air, and then she suddenly teleported into the air. 

- Hello, my love.

Aether said while Keqing tried to attack him.

- Don't call me 'love'! You turned evil, ruthless, and wicked. We are not together anymore. We will never be together again.

- Ah...so that's what you think of me?

Aether chuckled and shot 3 Electro orbs at the unsuspecting Keqing. She got hit by all three, and she fell down from the sky.

- Keqing!

Jean called out. Jean ran towards Keqing and used her Anemo power just in time to save her from hitting the ground. 

- Are you alright?!

Jean asked, worried. 

- I-I think so...

Keqing seemed to be in very intense pain. 

- Hold on. I'll heal you.

Jean said. She grabbed her sword with her two hands and once again summoned dandelions that healed Keqing.

- Thank you, Jean Gunhildr.

Keqing stood up and bowed to Jean.

- Please just call me Jean.

Just about when Keqing was going to attack Aether again, she suddenly got electrocuted and passed out. 

- Keqing? Keqing!

Jean shook Keqing. She wasn't responding. Could she be...dead? Jean quickly checked her breathing. Keqing...wasn't breathing at all. Tears fell down from Jean's eyes. She had failed Keqing. She let her die. Jean clenched her teeth. 

- Aether.

Jean looked up at the wicked person that killed Keqing. 

- You-

Jean let out a battle cry and charged towards Aether once more. 

- Jean, do you want to know something? 

Aether asked as Jean slashed her sword violently at Aether.

- Diluc doesn't love you, Jean. Can't you see it? He's just using you to sabotage the Knights of Favonius. He hates the Knights remember? And you are the Acting Grand Master of the Knights. Think about it, Jean. Don't be dumb. 

Jean growled. She tried to ignore Aether's attempt at hypnotizing her, but she couldn't. What if...Diluc doesn't really love her? Was Aether...right-? Jean's anger for Aether seemed to cool down. 

- You see, Jean, that's just how life works.

Aether slowly approached Jean, and put an arm around her. 

- Join forces with me. I swear you will not regret it.

Jean's body was shaking now. Tears were running down her cheek. Suddenly a ghost appeared and attacked Aether.

- Get off of her!

It was Hu Tao. She quickly ran to Jean and said:

- Are you ok? I can give you free coffins if you need!

Jean looked at Hu Tao. She hugged Hu Tao and cried in her shoulder. In the meantime, Diluc was fighting Lumine with Venti and Raiden Shogun. Diluc was worried about Jean. Was she ok? Diluc glanced behind him. He then saw Jean hugging Hu Tao.

- Huh?

Diluc ran towards Jean and asked:

- Jean! What's wrong?!

Suddenly, Aether lunged at Diluc. 

- Back off!

Hu Tao yelled and let go of Jean.

- You two talk this out. I'll deal with one of my new clients.

- Work what out..?

Jean looked at Diluc. Tears were falling down her ocean blue eyes. 

- Jean...?

- Diluc...do you love me?