Chapter 20: Bird Egg

- What?

The doctor didn't say anything. Diluc rushed inside the room, and looked at Jean's heartbeat. It was just a straight line. 

- No no no no no!

Diluc shouted in desperation. He gripped Jean tightly and cried in her chest. 

- Jean...

He whispered. He couldn't believe it. Jean... was dead. And he wasn't there for her. 

- No! There has to be a way to revive her!

Diluc looked at the doctor. The doctor took a deep breath and said:

- Well... there is a way... 

- What is it?! Tell me!

Diluc grabbed the doctor. 

- W-well, you will need to find a bird egg (its almost extinct now, there are only 50 of them in Teyvat left) and bring it to us. We can make it into a revival item. 

Diluc dropped the doctor and agreed. He then wasted no time trying to find the bird egg. Diluc started by looking in the most obvious places a bird egg could be, and then in buildings, alleys, boxes, everywhere a bird egg could possibly be. But he found none. Diluc felt depressed. First, he let his lover be poisoned and assumed she had cheated on him, then he tried to murder his brother who had no fault, and now, he can't even find a bird egg to revive his lover. Diluc hated himself. 

- Stupid Diluc! You are so useless!

He slapped himself. Diluc was sitting alone under the Statue of the Seven in Windrise, where Jean and he picked crystalflies together. He smiled lightly at the memory. Jean was actually gone. And he couldn't help her... That's when he felt a breeze. He looked on his right side, and saw Venti approaching him.

- Hello! Watcha doing here?

Venti cheerfully asked. 

- Nothing.

Diluc looked away. Why did Venti have to be here now?

- Hey. I know Jean is dead. And I can help.

Diluc immediately turned his head to Venti.

- How?!

Venti only laughed and revealed his hand. On Venti's hand was an egg. A bird egg.

- W-what?

Diluc was shocked. His annoying customer who was always bugging him and asking him for free drinks was giving him a bird egg to help. 

- H-how did you know? And where did you get that? And why would you help me?

Venti smiled warmly and placed the bird egg in Diluc's hand. And suddenly disappeared in the wind. Diluc's mind was flooding with questions. But right now, he needed to revive Jean. Diluc ran with his full speed to the clinic. 

- Doctor! I have the bird egg.

The doctor nodded as he took the egg from Diluc's hand. 

- We will start frying the egg now.

Diluc thanked the doctor and then sat in the chair placed next to Jean.

- You will be revived soon, Jean.

He stroked her cheek, and sighed. He then smelled the aroma of the fried egg. The doctor opened the door and feeded Jean the egg. After a few minutes of it being in her mouth, Diluc saw Jean's heartbeat going up again! He also saw Jean swallowing the egg.

- Jean!

Diluc cried. Jean slowly opened her eyes. 

- D-Diluc..?

Jean's voice was raspy, but he didn't care. He leaned down to kiss Jean. But she just pushed him away.

- I thought you said you couldn't trust me anymore.

Jean said in a cold tone. Diluc sighed and said:

- I'm sorry, Jean. I'm really, really, sorry. I...just felt like you cared about Kaeya more than me.

Jean didn't respond. 

- Please Jean. I can't bear losing you...

The blonde turned around.

- I... can't bear losing you either...

- So you forgive me?

Diluc asked, hopeful. Jean smiled and nodded. Diluc grinned and held gripped Jean's hand. 

- Sir, the girl might have to stay in the hospital for 1 month for her to heal. Is that alright with you?

The doctor asked. Diluc told the doctor that he could bring Jean back to the Dawn Winery and take care of her. He had everything she might need. The doctor hesitated, but agreed. Diluc and the doctor helped Jean in a wheelchair, and Diluc wheeled her outside the clinic and headed for the Dawn Winery.