Chapter 18: Argument

Jean and Diluc had a fun time together at the tavern that day. Plus, Diluc asked Jean could stay with him in the Dawn Winery. Permanently. 

- Oh! I- um- I- yes. Yes, I will move in with you.

Jean stammered. Diluc smiled widely and carried her bridal style. 

- Diluc!

Jean laughed. It felt nice to be back in Monstadt. The two slept that night with arms wrapped around each other. The next morning, Jean was woken up with a doorbell ring. 'Every time I stay at Diluc's there's always a doorbell ring for some reason.' Jean thought to herself. Jean went downstairs to open the door. It was Kaeya. 

- Hello Jean. I was looking for you.

Jean cocked her head. 

- How did you know I was at the Dawn Winery?

- I have my reasons.

Jean nodded suspiciously, but then asked:

- What do you need me for?

- Well, I wanted to thank you for something.

- Thank me?

- Yes. I want to thank you for making Diluc happier.

- Oh! Um... You're welcome then!

Jean gave Kaeya a warm smile, and suddenly Kaeya hugged Jean. Jean hugged Kaeya back. Jean said goodbye to Kaeya, and closed the door lightly to avoid waking Diluc.'

- What are you doing?

Jean jumped.

- Oh god, you scared me.

Diluc was standing at the top of the staircase, he looked mad.

- Is everything alright, Diluc?

Diluc walked downstairs and said.

- Why did you hug Kaeya?

Diluc said in a cold tone. Jean was surprised.

- Well, he only wanted to thank me-

- Thank you with what?

- Well the reason might sound ridiculous-

- Are you cheating on me with Kaeya?

Jean's eyes widened. 

- WHAT?!

- I'm asking you nicely, Jean. Are you cheating on me with Kaeya?

- Of course not! Why would you ever think that?!

- You hugged him. And he blushed.

- Well that's-

- Jean! Tell me the truth! ARE. YOU. CHEATING. ON. ME.

Jean's face flushed red in anger.

- NO! I AM TELLING YOU I DID NOT! WHY WOULD ASSUME THAT?!

Jean shrieked. This was their first fight. And it was getting worse by the minute.

- WHY DON'T YOU BELIEVE ME, DILUC?! 

- BECAUSE I JUST FEEL LIKE I CAN'T TRUST YOU ANYMORE!

- You... You...

Jean bursts into tears. She ran upstairs and locked herself in the bedroom. Jean threw herself on the bed and punched the bedsheets continuously. She was so mad. She felt anger rising in her throat and she let out a sad and angry scream. She broke into tears again, and then she fainted. 

Diluc heard Jean's scream. He was angry, but inside he felt bad for Jean. What if he was just being too overprotective? Diluc sighed deeply, then went upstairs and knocked on the bedroom door. 

- Jean? Jean. I'm... sorry. Please let me in.

No answer. He tried again.

- Jean? Please, I'm begging you. Let me in. 

Weird. Jean would usually open the door after his second beg. Diluc had no choice but to try and  break down the door. He used his pyro vision to burn the door down, and saw Jean laying on the bed, unconscious. 

- Jean?!

Diluc rushed to her side. Diluc could still see a tear on her cheek. He felt like he was wrong. He tried to wake up Jean, but then he spotted a green, neon, liquid handprint on her back. He immediately realized it was a type of poison. It was the same poison that had almost killed him once. Diluc quickly scooped Jean up and ran as fast as he could to a near clinic. Diluc slammed the clinic door open and rushed to the receptionist.

- Please! I beg you! Please treat my girlfriend! She's been poisoned!

The receptionist looked at the handprint, and quickly told Diluc to go to the room behind him. Diluc ran inside the room and laid her down on the bed. The doctor inside noticed the poison too, and asked Diluc to go outside and wait for him to treat Jean. Diluc nodded, and exited the room. Jean has been poisoned... And only one person could've done that. Diluc felt rage flowing through his body, and his hands curled up into fists. Kaeya.