Fear

Growing up, you felt like you could read people's thoughts although it wasn't just their thoughts, it was what they were scared off. You also heard what it was at the time that they wanted to comfort them with whether it was a hug or a compliment. In hindsight, you now know it was people's fears and desires that you were hearing.

Confiding in your parents, you were surprised that they believed you and didn't think you were mad. Your dad said that he had encountered others that had various other gifts although at the time you didn't see it as a gift. It was a plague. Your mind was rarely quiet. You knew you had to get this under control.

Your father, being a SHIELD agent was able to put you into contact with someone who put you in contact with a shaman who taught you how to nurture and control these gifts. She was called The Ancient One and she trained your mind to be able to distinguish between fears, desires and who they were coming from. You spent under a year with her but it felt like a lifetime. You saw things you thought were impossible and learnt things that challenged everything you thought you knew.

As you grew older, you started spending more time with your dad. He'd occasionally bring you to work to show of your "party trick" to his coworkers. You soon became all of their daughters as you started spending most of your time there helping to solve small cases. One day, as you were being escorted out of the building, you saw someone being escorted in. Despite being surrounded by several agents, he still looked intimidating. You were told earlier on that they were bringing in a former terrorist group leader who refused to talk. The government thought S.H.I.E.L.D. Could perhaps get some answers using other methods. Drumming your fingers on your thumb, you tried not to catch his gaze as he stared at you. You felt slightly scared and that's when you felt his fears calling out to you. You still couldn't fully control your "gift" so you couldn't stop yourself from entering his mind to draw out what you sought. You stopped walking and turned your attention to the man being escorted in.
"What are you doing y/n" said one of the agents watching you glare at the man. Closing your eyes, you started conjuring images of snakes. Opening your eyes, you heard the man yelp. Even you were surprised that it had worked. From across the corridor, you could see Nick watching you with an amused expression. He knew what you were doing. Beginning to imagine the snakes surrounding the man, you managed to project the images to him. Success was evident as he started jumping around and screaming. All of the guards were confused. The commotion drew your dad out of his office and he stood in the corridor watching the man panic. He smiled at you once he realised what had happened.
"Make it stop! Please make it stop!" The man cried wincing at snakes that weren't there. That's when you knew it was your time to shine. You were in control. No more drumming fingers. You held the power.

Approaching the man, you began to speak.

"I can make it stop, if you tell me everything"
He did and that interaction was what earned you the title of the youngest interrogator on the team. You trained them and worked yourself up the ranks with your father at your side. You were an inseparable duo.

As the years went on, you were made lead interrogator. It was nearing your fathers retirement but he ensured you'd still have someone rooting for you at work whilst ensuring your safety, that's how Fury became your work dad.

In your fathers last month at SHIELD, he was working on a case that was top secret. You didn't even have clearance to know what it was. Your dad told you very vague details but nothing that allowed you to piece anything together. He told you it was dangerous and that knowing could put you in danger.

One night, he stayed behind to finish the case. Kissing his cheek you reluctantly bid him farewell.

"Are you sure I can't help?" You asked.

"Sweetheart, go home" he replied hugging you once more.

The next day you arrived at work and was greeted by forensics setting up tents. Fury called you into his office and instead of speaking he gave you a hug as he tried to stifle his own tears. He didn't have to speak. You knew. You felt your heart break and you knew.

It was later concluded that the cctv had been stolen and despite spending over a year on the case, it was never solved. Your dads death was still a mystery. The case he was working on had also disappeared. All records and files had been erased.

Going to work was impossible. You felt so alone. Your mother was grief stricken and you couldn't burden her with your own grief as well. They say that there are five stages of grief. You were stuck on anger. He had abandoned you. He, your dad, had abandoned you his beloved daughter. You spent most of your time drunk, about to get drunk, screaming or crying.

You soon found yourself getting better after meeting Lance. Sweet, handsome Lance, the bastard. He was an agent at the same HQ you worked at and he helped you immensely. With his aid, you went back to work and began smiling again. He was your everything until the day he broke your mended heart. He had left you for someone else. Abandoned you.

After that, you struggled becoming close with anyone else. You either became really obsessive or really distant. You knew how it would always end. Abandonment. You feared it. After the third cruel heartbreak, you vowed to never fall in love again. That's why laying down with him as he strokes your hair whilst you both watch a film is so hard. You felt your feelings growing.

"You alright doll?" He asked turning to face you.

"Yeah, just lost in my thoughts" you said giving him a small smile.

"When are you going to tell everyone you're joining?" He said smiling wildly.

"We'll tell them today" you replied reaching up to kiss him.

He kissed you back moving his hand from your hair as he put his arms around your waist. Deepening the kiss, you felt yourself feeling as if you were going to explode. The kiss didn't feel like enough.