42

nothing but heavy breaths filled the spacious infirmary as the three males turned to look at jeno, each of them beyond worried as they took in his truly pitiful state

nothing but heavy breaths filled the spacious infirmary as the three males turned to look at jeno, each of them beyond worried as they took in his truly pitiful state. mark's heart basically twisted in pain, sadness and regret swarming his system as it burned behind his dark eyes. the fire inside him slowly began to dwindle as he stepped closer towards his once closest friend, throat closing up as he felt those once warm eyes look at him with an unreadable expression.

they had lost their childlike shine long ago.

the older missed the way jeno would look at him as if he was his everything. in this moment, he would give anything just to recieve one more glance like that. just one, single flicker of emotion would be enough to have him hoping again. but he knew it would never happen. for he had hurt jeno way too much for the younger to just get over it and forgive him.

"how are you feeling?"

winwin was the first to speak, breaking the awkward silence as he finally managed to compose himself. jeno's tired eyes flickered over to the man as he forced himself to look away from mark, immediatly taking notice of hia shaking hands. the young doctor now stood merely an inch away from him so he, in an attempt to comfort him, took his trembling hands into his own. "like shit.", he mumbled, offering the man a small smile. this seemed to ease winwin's mind a bit, the man completely unaware of just how bizarre jeno's behaviour was.

because he wasn't the type to do this.

he wasn't the type to comfort someone like this.

a rather loud clearing of a throat broke the peaceful atmosphere, causing jeno's hands to retract from winwin's in an instant. all eyes focused on the indigo haired man, awaiting for him to speak. instead, mark simply inched closer towards the younger until he was standing right in front of him. winwin watched jeno tense as he felt the older's presence grow closer, seemingly reliving a thousand situations as his eyes followed mark's every move.

"we should talk."

mark's deep voice travelled to his ears, the same melodic tune so familiar to him causing his heart to dance in his chest once again. jeno scoffed, looking away for a brief moment before redirecting his gaze on the man he knew so well. his eyes held nothing but hatred, bitter and cold as they nipped at mark's soul with each passing second they stayed fixated on his own.

"you have a lot of fucking nerve. i didn't even know you could be so pathetic."

to say jeno's words didn't sting would be a total lie.

"it wasn't a suggestion."

but mark lee wasn't so easily swayed. just as he uttered those words, jeno's eyes blew wide in anger as he felt the familiar sensation build up in his stomach. "shut the fuck up. now." he growled, rising up to adjust his position and hissing as he felt his body ache with each movement. hearing the other curse and hiss in pain caused mark to almost reach towards him yet he quickly stopped himself, hands hanging limp at his side.

the movement was so quick, almost unnoticable.

yet jeno caught it, despite his pain.

and that made him even angrier.

"leave us."

mark ordered and without a word, doyoung left the room. the man could see winwin wanted to protest but the chinese quickly shut up as he recieved a rather harsh glare, quickly scurrying off behind the therapist. "i'm not talking to you." jeno spat as he turned his head to look away, focusing his gaze on anything but the mafia member standing before him.

"jeno, you need to."

"there's nothing to say."

"that's not true, i-"

"FOR FUCK'S SAKE, JUST LEAVE! CAN'T YOU SEE I CAN'T STAND TO EVEN LOOK AT YOU RIGHT NOW?!"

despite the nature of the boy's words, somehow mark felt that this was the flicker of hope he desperately needed. hope that they could rekindle what they once had, who they once were. it had been a while since jeno spoke to him— or yelled— with so much emotion when it came to mark. even if it was just hatred.

it felt good to know the boy wasn't completely unbothered when it came to mark.

to know that somewhere in the depth of his heart, he still cared for him.

"now, if you have nothing else to say just-"

"i'm sorry."

silence.

jeno was completely dumbfounded as he stared at the male, at a loss for words. he felt his insides twist once again, mind getting swarmed with all the memories he so desperately tried to burn and forget. they had been pushed so far down his heart, locked up in the darkest corner where the sun would never reach them. he fought so hard to keep his true feelings from ever coming to light.

and all it took was a single tear to roll down his once best friend's cheek for his walls to crack.

and once again, he opted for a quick and easy way to keep in all the things he needed to let out.

denial.

"are you fucking serious? you have the guts to stand here and cry after what you did to me? you should just leave and never come back. and for the last time, stay away from my best friend. be a decent human being for once."

mark only stood there, silently crying as he took it.

"that is, if you have any decency left in you."

with that, jeno laid back down and turned to the side as he patiently waited for the other to leave the room. mark stayed for a second, tearful eyes watching his best friend turn away from him. he wished he could take it all back. he wished he had never done what he did. he wished jeno wasn't in pain because of him.

and most of all, he wanted his best friend back.

"i'm so fucking sorry..."

he muttered, letting the tears fall completely as he silently walked out.

only then did jeno let his own tears hit the pillow, wondering what life would be like for them if only mark was a better person back then.

both boys were comppetely unaware of a certain pair of eyes watching their exchange closely, the gears turning in their heads as they struggled to make sense of what just happened.

"just how many people do you have wrapped around your finger?"

they questioned, observing jeno as he muffled his cries before opting to take their leave.

it's been so long since i updated sorryyy