The Challenge Accepted

Amy

"Where are you going?" Aaron asked the tenth time as I was putting on my heels.

Awful two weeks have passed since my night out at the hospital. I am finally off the 'resting' state. I have started cooking for two days now. Martha still visits to clean because Aaron said so. Why? I have no idea. I am very well capable of handling everything by myself, but no. Aaron wants everything to happen his way. He has been okay for the last two weeks, I would say. I mean, I have practically avoided him. I don't even want to see his face after what he has done. He didn't get Ruby or Jasmine home, and he took care of basically everything related to my recovery process.

He made sure I ate my medicines on time and I would eat all my meals on time. He came home early from work and made sure I rested well. He took me to my doctor's appointments every week and made sure that I followed all the instructions.

But, I give a damn. He is doing it only because he is fucking guilty about what he did to me. Not because he has suddenly realized his ever dying love for me. So, I don't care as he has to make sure I am okay because he is responsible for this.

He hasn't harrassed me at all since that night but, he did put up a fuzz about me cooking two days ago, but I love to cook. It is more like therapy for me. So, I had put my foot down on this one, and he had to listen eventually. He still argues a lot with me, but that is normal since forever.

Anyway, I am fit and fine like before and I am no longer staying in this house.

No, no. Aaron hasn't done the good deed of finally giving me divorce. He will never do that. Well not for a long time at least. But, that doesn't mean I have to stay in this house like a prisoner. I have a perfect plan of escaping this prison and get at least a part of my life back and today I am going to put it into action.

"Where are you going?" he asked again.

"It matters to you because?" I retorted as I got up and looked at myself in the mirror in the living room.

White shirt. Check. Pencil skirt. Check. Black heels. Check. Documents and Certificates. Check. I am good to go.

He scoffed, "Because you are dressed up as if you are going to work even though you don't have a job."

"I am going to find a job." I answered him, looking at myself in the mirror.

Getting a job is a small but, important step for me at this point. In the last few days, I have come to one conclusion.

Aaron is beyond repair.

My hate for him is never gonna die and looking at only his face in the whole day is just like adding fuel. More than getting back at Aaron for whatever he did, I need my peace of mind back. And for that, I need to stop thinking about the past.

As long as I stay in this house twenty-four seven, that's not gonna happen. But, if I get a job, I will be able to enjoy at least half the day, doing what I love and meeting new people.

I can think about getting out of this marriage after that. Besides, for that I need to find the reason for this first and then, a solution.

"Why?" he asked.

"Are you gonna give me a divorce?" I asked folding my arms.

"Of course not." he ask bewildered.

"If you won't give me a divorce, I am going back to work."

"How is that even related? You are not working." Aaron declared.

"It is. If you won't divorce me, I will have to live in this house. I don't wanna live off the money earned by a man who is unrelated to me. I will need my own money. So, I am going to find a job. Who are you to decide if I am working or not?" I raised an eyebrow.