The Difficult Client

Amy

They say, "Being confident is good, but being over-confident is not." And they are so not wrong there. Three nights ago, Aaron had told me that I was being over-confident about this coffee shop project. I had thought that he was just being absurd and trying to demotivate me. But, after spending two hours with our client, Mrs. Brown, I am seriously beginning to doubt myself. She is not inclined to cooperate like at all.

"No, no, no. That is not the correct design. It doesn't have anything even close to what I am looking for!" Mrs. Brown said again as I showed her one of the previous designs she had rejected.

"Mrs. Brown, I already know that. I am just trying to understand what are you looking for. Could you please tell me any colors that you have in mind?" I pleaded.

"What am I paying you for if I have to suggest everything? It is your task not mine. If I had such great artistic skills, I would have been a designer myself."

I sighed as I said, "I understand that. But, I am just trying to understand what you can see in these designs that none of the other architects could see. I am trying to see it from your perspective so that I can help you better."

"Help me? Oh please! You all just think of me as a huge problem. I am sure you all just want to gain the payment as soon as possible so that you can be done with me for infinity. You and your collogues will be done with a difficult client, get your payment and save yourselves from being fired and your boss, Aaron Kingston, will have one more massive place in the city to brag about", she scoffed.

I lost my patience at this point. What does she even think of herself? Aaron is not like that. I mean yes I know he is arrogant and I hate him too at this point, but he never boasts about anything. This lady here doesn't even know him and she has no right to speak about him like that.

"No, Mrs. Brown. You are not correct. Mr. Kingston never brags about any of the projects that he or his employees have ever designed. His work speaks for him. And even if he did brag about it, he very well deserves it. He and his employees have worked hard to achieve what he has. If it was not for his hard work, his company would have never reached the position it has today", I argued.

"You talk as if you know him very closely. I am sure he has used some tricks here and there. Some ways to impress his clients and their families. You know what I mean", Mrs. Brown said.

"I am just appreciating the hard work that he has put into it. Not everyone necessarily has tricks up their sleeves. Some people are just genuinely hard working."

"Really? So, you are telling me that working hard is all that is important? Was that all that took him to reach this height? It is that easy for people? Do you know how many people in the world work hard everyday? Do everyone reach to the heights? Working hard is not the only thing required to crack the rock, miss", she said haughtily.

"Yes, it may not be the only thing. You may need a lot of brains, huge amount of planning, correct decision making and a tinge of luck too. Not all people reach those heights not just because they don't have the luck or resources, but because everyone does not have the same dream to reach those great heights. Some people find pleasure in slightest of things. The definition of success is different for all."

"You think everyone reaches their own definition of success?" she asked looking at me intendedly.

"I don't think it is always easy or straightforward or even slightly same for everyone. Some people make more mistakes, some people make less ones. But, you know what's most important? It is to keep trying. If you keep trying, eventually, you will be there", I said honestly with a shrug.