The Sister

Amy

"Sis..sister?" I asked with surprise. I didn't know Aaron has a sister. How come no one ever spoke of her?

Aaron just nodded and looked up at me. He forced a smile and signalled me to sit next to him. I went and sat next to him in my original position.

"Julia..." Aaron took a deep breath and released it slowly.

"Julia's my sister. She's my cousin actually. My father had an older brother. Julia was their daughter. Her mother died at birth and my uncle died in a car accident later. Julia was four when it happened. So, mom and dad adopted her. She was two years younger to me. About a little than a year older than you", Aaron pursed his lips.

"Mom was always worried that Julia might never accept her and dad as her parents after the car accident. Initially, Julia was really quite and didn't talk to anyone. But, eventually, she opened up to us. She started referring to them as mom and dad. She started acting like our home was her home. She turned out to be one lively person. Dan and she would always be fighting. But, all of us knew they loved each other. They'd fight one minute and then stay put the next minute. One day, I found her digging a hole in our backyard. I asked her what she was doing. She had a box in her hand that she was trying to bury there. I asked her what it was. I opened it and found a few pictures of her with my uncle. She said she didn't need those anymore as she had a new family now. I asked her why was she burying them. Why not just throw them away? She said that she may not need them but, they are still her precious memories and she would like to keep it safe for maybe someday in future. I didn't understand her logic but, I still helped her and that was the start of us. I dotted on her. She'd come to me for the slightest issue", Aaron laughed lightly.

"You know, she used to even force me to be the guest at her barbie doll tea parties", he said and I chuckled imagining that.

"I used to hate it but, I'd give the world for her. So, I used to do it nonetheless. Whenever she would be in a fix, she used to stare at the sky with a cute little frown. She would stay like that for two minutes and if she wouldn't get an answer, she'd shout Aaron and run to me and ask me the solution. One would question what possible problems could a kid come up with but, I swear that girl had the smartest head and the most tricky questions ever. She would pester me until I gave her an answer. I swear she was so stubborn. Always doing what she wanted and would never listen to us", Aaron told me.

"She sounds like she is Aaron's sister", I smiled.

"That she was. Yes, definitely. My little sister", Aaron chuckled.

"As we grew up, she grew more and more kind and gentle with each passing day. She would help mom at home, dad at the company, she would ace her studies and yet, get time to take up the small jobs that the neighbours would have just to earn extra dollars. She used to do all of this while Dan and I wasted our years in parties and being...well, being teens", he completed and I smiled.

"Why did she try to earn money?" I asked him. I know that they weren't rich like now but, there were still well off.

"She loved helping people and she wanted to be a doctor. So, she thought that she could start saving up. Mom and dad thought they should teach her to be independent and it was great if she was so thoughtful about it since an early age. So, they supported her as long as it didn't affect her grades", Aaron shrugged.

I nodded and he continued, "She was an extremely kind person. She would always help people who were in need and she thought no profession would be better for her than medicine. We supported her and she was extremely focused. Soon, I graduated high school. I left the city to study in Texas. You know, I was seventeen back then. That's when things changed."