The Fear of Losing

Amy

"Aaron's car was hit by two trucks. He is critical."

I felt like the words punched me in the gut and my breath was knocked off me. The phone slipped from my hand and my legs gave up making me stumble. I held the door frame for support and Peter held me up from the other side.

"Let's go, Amy", Peter said and pulled me along with him.

Tears started flowing from my ears blurring my vision. I didn't feel anything around me. It was as if I was being strangled to death. I recalled everything I said to him tonight. It made me cry harder.

"Amy, h..he..he'll be fine. Don't cry please", Peter tried to console me, but I just couldn't stop.

I recalled how I had told him once that he could die under a truck and I couldn't care less. Is it gonna fall true? Is Aaron gonna- No. No. This is wrong. This can't happen.

I wanted to turn back time and just stop him from going out. I prayed to god for his life. I wanted Peter to drive faster so that I could see him sooner. I felt like I was completely helpless right now. I felt like nothing will be able to keep me going if something happens to him.

"Amy..." Peter pleaded to me as I was continuously crying.

I don't know what happened next. I don't know how long was it before we reached the hospital. I just know that we reached there and then, I ran out of the car as soon as Peter parked it to go look for Aaron.

"M...Mr. Kingston...Aa...Aaron Kingston", I told the receptionist without wasting a second.

"Third floor, operation thea-" I was running even before she completed her sentence. I climbed up the staircase and ran to the operation theatre. I saw Daniel and ran to him.

"How's he? Where's he? What happened? What did the doctor say? He'll be okay, right? I want to see him-"

"Amy, Amy, Amy. Get a grip, please", Daniel pleaded. Looking at him it was obvious that he was crying too. It made me cry even more. I lowered my head and Daniel hugged me. He made me sit on the chair nearby and sat next to me.

"Doctors said that they will have to operate on him. There are multiple fractures. There was a lot of external blood loss. They don't know yet how much internal bleeding may have occurred. They said that they can't say anything right now", Daniel said slowly as we both stared at the floor.

"How...did..." I whispered in middle of crying.

"His car collided with two trucks at the same time. Police are still looking but, I think that while he was driving his car must have had a hit from one side and then before he could regain his control, it got hit from the other side by another truck. They were on an highway so obviously the speed was high. The force for so much that the car toppled. We were lucky the fuel tank didn't....didn't burst. One of the drivers ran away but, the other called the authorities. The police called me because they couldn't get to you. We got him here an hour ago", Daniel answered.

"Did you..tell..mom and...dad?" I sniffed.

"That was what I was about to tell you on the phone. I called them. They will...get here soon. I have sent the chopper for them. Peter has gone there to pick them up", he said.

"It is all my fault, Daniel. We had a fight. He left in anger. If only I hadn't..." I started crying again.

"No, Amy. That's not true. Don't blame yourself", Daniel said holding my hand.

"No, Daniel. It is true. You know how rash he drives when he is tensed, right? If only I had stopped him", I cried even more.

"Amy..." Daniel hugged me as we both cried.